-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
I am ready to start assembling my 440 budget build. I need to measure the bores, and I don't have a bore gauge. No one I know owns one, and I don't want to spend a fortune on a tool I will use once in my life. I can buy a China made piece of junk for $50, but then I wouldn't really trust it, and again, I would use it once. Anyone have one they could borrow or rent me? Or a decent one for sale at a decent price? My brother says to look for go-no go gauge set, but damn! They are expensive. Any help would be appreciated.

Greg

You will also need a good dial caliper or a micrometer set to set the dial bore gauge.

Why do you need a bore gauge if your assembling? They should be straight if it was bored over, are you needing to gap the rings? You can use a snap gauge but it won't be dead nuts acurate

I don't know anything about the motor - if it is standard, .020 over, nothing. I need to know what rings to buy. The cylinders were clean and are just getting a dingle ball to clean them up. Stock pistons, new cam and lifters, intake and carb. Nothing big, but it will be an improvement over the stock 318 in my Ramcharger.

A dial caliper can tell you pretty much what you need to know if you aren't measuring taper or ridge wear.

Any machine shop should be able to measure your pistons if they are not already stamped .020 or .030 etc...

Here's a pic

Those are telescoping gages (snap gages). A dial bore gage (like the ones they use in machine shops) have three prongs (tips) to measure the bore at the top, middle and bottom. But the telescoping gages will give you an accurate measurement if you use a good calibrated outside mic to measure the telescoping gage. The telescoping gages will also measure out of round conditions, you just have to have a good feel.
So the telescoping gages (which are not very expensive) will do the job if you have a good outside mic to measure the telescoping gage.

treblig

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back