Borgeson coupler help

-

R3dplanet

Reaction score
So I have a new set of Doug's headers stuffed like a turkey into my '65 Barracuda with a 360.

I've also installed a new Borgeson power steering gear and new pump and Bosch hydrobooster.

My issue is that with the Doug's headers in place, they prevent either the expensive Borgeson Mopar-specific steering shaft u-joint or the expensive Bergman coupler to spin freely. I've enclosed three photos that show how the coupler shoves right up against the header tubes.

I have no problem cutting and welding my way out of this mess, but I really don't have any bright ideas on how to proceed.

Can anyone here sop up my tears of shame?

Thanks,
Marcus

Attachments

• P1020677.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 395
  • P1020678.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 426
  • P1020679.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 353
Have you considered using two joints that way you can turn the one nearest the header like in the last pic then use another joint (higher up) to get alignment with the shaft near the firewall. You'd have to build a brace/bracket and use a rod end for the second (higher up) joint.

treblig

Not sure the diameter of that steering joint? Have you looked at flaming river? Not sure if you'd save any space. I run one on a dart with a 360 and 1 7/8 hooker headers. Tight fit but it passes? Good luck

Well,

I spent all evening with it. I shaped it down with a lot of careful grinding (mostly trying to reduce the outside diameter), ran a new weld bead, and cut it to fit. It will work. There's only a little gap between the header pipe and the u-joint, but I think it will work. It isn't my prettiest work because I'm lousy at welding around small radii.

Flaming River has one here that already has a 1/4" less outside diameter (1.25" compared to 1.5" on the Borgeson). Part number FR2580 for the stainless one, measuring 11/16"-36 spline by 3/4" SMOOTH. If my ugly-*** modification doesn't work, I'll buy this one.

FYI.

-marcus

UPDATE:

I finally got around to do getting all of this fit along with the Flaming River stainless u-joint. Now there's plenty of clearance. One little note: The Borgeson power steering box certainly cleared up all kinds of space. But it sat high enough that the upper corner of the unit would tap against the engine block when starting. So I fabbed up a 1/4" aluminum engine mount spacer and wedged in a 3/16" square of Delrin between the engine block and the steering box and now that problem is solved.

The first photos shows the newfound clearance. The second shows the hydrobooster and headers in place.

Attachments

• coupler.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 218
  • hydro.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 192
-
Back