Borgeson Power Steering Thoughts....

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about converting Vixen to power steering. With the manual transmission, I must admit it would be nice and the quicker ratio I'm sure would make her driving experience even more fun. Would some of yall who've made this swap tell me about it? Maybe what you like, what you don't if anything? For those who may not know, Vixen is a 64 Valiant 2 door sedan with a slant 6. Thank you.

Some may think it is apples and oranges since the Borgeson unit I used is in a Charger.
The steering effort is higher than a stock Mopar unit but much easier than my Firm Feel stage 3 with Fast Ratio arms. That combination had what felt like manual steering at slow speeds. The Borgeson is tighter and lighter by 12 lbs. The feel is as close as you can get to rack and pinion.
It is not cheap. That is a big chunk of money to spend but it is a great product. I went with Bergman Auto Craft, a sponsor of this site and a few others.

Last edited:
Some may think it is apples and oranges since the Borgeson unit I used is an a Charger.
The steering effort is higher than a stock Mopar unit but much easier than my Firm Feel stage 3 with Fast Ratio arms. That combination had what felt like manual steering at slow speeds. The Borgeson is tighter and lighter by 12 lbs. The feel is as close as you can get to rack and pinion.
It is not cheap. That is a big chunk of money to spend but it is a great product. I went with Bergman Auto Craft, a sponsor of this site and a few others.
That's what I had planned if I do it. To get a kit from Peter. He's a stand up guy and If I'm gonna spend that much, that's the kind of person I'm gonna do business with. Thanks, Greg.

I have the Borgeson unit on the 66’ Barracuda with the 273 and Doug’s headers. A bunch lighter and with the six you have way more room than a V8 but steering is amazing and I am running the stock 273 pump. I bought their lines and it screwed right in. I added a cooler to the return line but since the box is smaller- the fluid temps has dropped almost 40 degrees from the feel #2 box to the Borgeson.
Factory pitman arm and I cannot speak more highly of the product. It’s not cheap but worth every dime I spent.
Joe

the borgeson is definitely "tighter" and has a very modern car feel.

from a standpoint of can you do something similar for less money, i think you could get most of the way there with a stock box that's upgraded and used bits for a little less but not like an order of half the price or anything. but the borg box is still lighter, smaller and has better feel.

for a straight pull the trigger drop in the BAC's kit is hard to beat. i've installed a few and it's dead nuts easy work. although, i've not done it on anything pre 67 i imagine the install would go just as swimmingly. everything was good quality, well packaged, paint/powder coat and fittings.

if i were converting my car, i'd opt for just the box and then piece together the peripherals because i'm a dedicated cheapskate.

Yeah, I'm a total cheapskate, too, but when I am able to do it, I want it right and I want it nice. Also, does the Borgeson box require special pitman and idler arms to get the quick ratio? The way I'm reading it is that it does not.

I ordered a complete conversion kit from Bergman 5 days ago. But since I have the cast iron water pump '69 and earlier pully setup he has to locate an obsolete PS pully. So as soon as he gets that pully, said a few days or so, the kit will ship.

Bergman knows about what works with what and what is needed for your particular car and support after the sale. Thats why I ordered from them.

Yeah, I'm a total cheapskate, too, but when I am able to do it, I want it right and I want it nice. Also, does the Borgeson box require special pitman and idler arms to get the quick ratio? The way I'm reading it is that it does not.
no, the ratio is built into the box.

i totally understand the allure of "new, nice & shiny" i just typically don't like the price tag attached. rest assured the BAC kit delivers on right and nice, that much is for sure.

no, the ratio is built into the box.

i totally understand the allure of "new, nice & shiny" i just typically don't like the price tag attached. rest assured the BAC kit delivers on right and nice, that much is for sure.
It's expensive for sure. I like the 14:1 ratio plus power assist. No one else offers that. That's probably snatch Vixen around pretty good. lol

the borgeson is definitely "tighter" and has a very modern car feel.

from a standpoint of can you do something similar for less money, i think you could get most of the way there with a stock box that's upgraded and used bits for a little less but not like an order of half the price or anything. but the borg box is still lighter, smaller and has better feel.

for a straight pull the trigger drop in the BAC's kit is hard to beat. i've installed a few and it's dead nuts easy work. although, i've not done it on anything pre 67 i imagine the install would go just as swimmingly. everything was good quality, well packaged, paint/powder coat and fittings.

if i were converting my car, i'd opt for just the box and then piece together the peripherals because i'm a dedicated cheapskate.
First off, you cannot get the same by rebuilding a stock Mopar unit. There will still be the common 11:00 to 1:00 free play in the wheel.
Borg 24.jpg

Borg 25.jpg

Within this range, the wheel moves but the tires don't. Call it slop, free play or whatever, every Mopar steering box has it whether it has been rebuilt or not. It is a design feature/flaw that cannot be completely eliminated. These steering boxes are between 35-60 years old and no new parts are available. Rebuilds get done with refurbished old parts which will still have that slop in the steering. The Borgeson is a new unit. You're starting with zero wear, zero miles.

Secondly, yeah...you can piece it together but sometimes that ends up saving you nothing. The Bergman hybrid coupler also isn't cheap but it makes this swap a bolt in job that is reversible if you decide to go back to stock or something else. No modifications to the steering column.

Last edited:
It's expensive for sure. I like the 14:1 ratio plus power assist. No one else offers that. That's probably snatch Vixen around pretty good. lol
any quicker than that and an involuntary wrist flick might become an impromptu J-turn!

First off, you cannot get the same by rebuilding a stock Mopar unit. There will still be the common 11:00 to 1:00 free play in the wheel.
Within this range, the wheel moves but the tires don't. Call it slop, free play or whatever, every Mopar steering box has it whether it has been rebuilt or not. It is a design feature/flaw that cannot be completely eliminated. These steering boxes are between 35-60 years old and no new parts are available. Rebuilds get done with refurbished old parts which will still have that slop in the steering. The Borgeson is a new unit. You're starting with zero wear, zero miles.

Secondly, yeah...you can piece it together but sometimes that ends up saving you nothing. The Bergman hybrid coupler also isn't cheap but it makes this wap a bolt in job that is reversible if you decide to go back to stock or something else. No modifications to the steering column.
yeah, that's kind of the basis for my argument: you can get something similar, but it's not all the way there. and for the price, you really can't beat the complete package-- all that time spent dinking around for bits and bobs and extra shipping or cleaning and painting adds up.

the hybrid coupler is the absolute cats *** here. no muss, no fuss and like you said, reversible if you change your mind down the road. not modifying the steering column is damn near worth the price of admission on its own.

I ordered a complete conversion kit from Bergman 5 days ago. But since I have the cast iron water pump '69 and earlier pully setup he has to locate an obsolete PS pully. So as soon as he gets that pully, said a few days or so, the kit will ship.

Bergman knows about what works with what and what is needed for your particular car and support after the sale. Thats why I ordered from them.
Not to Hijack RRR thread but what pulley are you talking about? I have the factory 66’ pump on my 273 with the factory pulley and cast iron water pump . The lines Bergman sells screwed directly to the pump and box and honestly my steering work great. No troubles or belt slip. Not tough to steer or too easy either. Federal style with a (approx) 4.5” pulley is what I have. I see the trw styles have the what looks like a 6” pulley.
Syleng1

The Borgeson in my car works great. The only thing I did is added a shim kit to the pressure valve to reduce the pressure a little. I like just a tad more road feel. I think Vixen would like the change!

Not to Hijack RRR thread but what pulley are you talking about? I have the factory 66’ pump on my 273 with the factory pulley and cast iron water pump . The lines Bergman sells screwed directly to the pump and box and honestly my steering work great. No troubles or belt slip. Not tough to steer or too easy either. Federal style with a (approx) 4.5” pulley is what I have. I see the trw styles have the what looks like a 6” pulley.
Syleng1
I am ordering a complete kit to convert manual to power steering so Bergman is supplying PS pump, PS bracket along with PS box hoses etc. Bergman says an obsolete pulley is needed for his PS pump in order to line up with my original '69 pulleys. My car is original AC manual steering car so original AC crank pulley has a groove for PS belt. Bergman is deleting crank pulley and adding PS pulley from his Master Kit he sells. So Berman is customizing kit to work with my original crank pulley hence need for obsolete PS pump pulley per Bergman that what Pete says is needed. Most kits out there cater to the '70 up aluminum water pump diff pulley offsets from '69 and earlier belt offsets. Hopefully that clears up confusion.

Not sure on the latest rendition of the borgeson but earlier ones required clearancing for tti’s to fit as the box albeit smaller was actually located in a different position (closer to the column and the engine) than oem. So all these manufacturers that spend time calculating where stock location manual and power steering boxes are for their header R&D is out the window.

I was looking at the boregeson box too but decided to rebuild my oem power steering box and stick with stock. I didn’t like the angle at which the input shaft was to the steering shaft and also didn’t like that I would also likely have to upgrade the power steering from federal to Saginaw as apparently the borg box likes the pressure of the Saginaw. if memory serves i think you need to end up buying a cooler for the power steering pump too as the Borg runs hotter. Some people also complained about the Borg being whiny and or noisy. Cost is Large for a complete borgeson when factoring in the pump, brackets, and cooler that you should run too.

post 5 or 6 shows some issues
Ever use a Borgeson power steering kit for a big block Dart conversion?

Not sure on the latest rendition of the borgeson but earlier ones required clearancing for tti’s to fit as the box albeit smaller was actually located in a different position (closer to the column and the engine) than oem. So all these manufacturers that spend time calculating where stock location manual and power steering boxes are for their header R&D is out the window.

I was looking at the boregeson box too but decided to rebuild my oem power steering box and stick with stock. I didn’t like the angle at which the input shaft was to the steering shaft and also didn’t like that I would also likely have to upgrade the power steering from federal to Saginaw as apparently the borg box likes the pressure of the Saginaw. if memory serves i think you need to end up buying a cooler for the power steering pump too as the Borg runs hotter. Some people also complained about the Borg being whiny and or noisy. Cost is Large for a complete borgeson when factoring in the pump, brackets, and cooler that you should run too.

post 5 or 6 shows some issues
Ever use a Borgeson power steering kit for a big block Dart conversion?
I am “almost” 100% certain the first Borgeson boxes were actually a steering gear adapted for a,b e bodies. That’s where the issues were. The ones available now are made for our cars. I had 0 line up issues input or output shafts to factory parts and only had to cut back my steering shaft for their u-joint which is way smaller than the factory chrysler set up. As for the cooler… I added one because my old fluid temps were really high with a factory box (FF#2) and Doug’s headers in my smaller 66 engine bay. The cooler helped but fluid temps got really high due to the proximity of the factory style box and the header. My 72 Demon with PS and 340/ Doug’s not so much so. Anyhow because the Borgeson box is a lot smaller the fluid temps do not climb anywhere near as hot as the factory with headers.

I know the power and manual columns are different lengths. What do I do "THERE"? Can I cut my steering shaft and add a u-joint? I'm not crazy about that. Is there a different way? Can I swap a power steering shaft into my column? I'd prefer a more factory way other than a u-joint.

I know the power and manual columns are different lengths. What do I do "THERE"? Can I cut my steering shaft and add a u-joint? I'm not crazy about that. Is there a different way? Can I swap a power steering shaft into my column? I'd prefer a more factory way other than a u-joint.
Manual shaft is longer but its a collapsible for crash impacts. So just slide it in use Bergman coupler so no mods to the manual shaft. That how the shaft is on my '69. Early As some of those might not be collapsible.

Bergman has this made and sells these now. Which adds more cost to the conversion but accomplishes what you’re looking for

BAC NO CUT STEERING BOX COUPLER - Bergman Auto Craft

Manual shaft is longer but its a collapsible for crash impacts. So just slide it in use Bergman coupler so no mods to the manual shaft. That how the shaft is on my '69. Early As some of those might not be collapsible.
Mine is a 64 model. It is solid and does not collapse.

-
Back