Borgeson steering box with 440 Dart?

-

69dodgedart360

Reaction score
I'm pondering the thought of putting a 440 in my 69 Dart but don't want to give up my power steering. Has anyone put a 440 in an a body and used the borgeson box to keep power steering? If I went 440 I would use Schumacher headers and also try to keep my power brakes. Thanks.

I’ve got a stroked 400 and had to dent 1 tube for the Borgenson box to clear

I just did a 400 with the Borgeson and long tube TTi`s

470.jpg

We've done stock power steering with cast iron B-body manifolds on two 383s. Everything fit fine. A 440 should fit better, but that does depend on the headers. I don't like power brakes on A-bodies so I haven't tried that.

I researched this extensively after I took someone's word on here and bought a set of TTI's from them (I blame myself for not making a simple phone call though....)

TTI's with PS are out unless you want to modify them and even then where that leads you I do not know.... Even with the Borgensen box they will not work. This came directly from TTI as they have test fit the deal.

Schumachers will work but it is extremely tight but that is also a subjective statement. In my job there are things I have to deal with that would trump changing out a simple spark plug with a RB deal in an A Body so to me it's a non point. Mileage may vary on that one.

Call Schumacher Creative services and talk to them. The owner is super nice. But before that go through their website and read up on everything.

There is 1 more header I believe (allpro?) but since it required a hole saw that's one doesn't interest me but I believe they work with PS.....

Good luck,
JW

TTI’s will work with the Borgenson box, number 3 tube needs a clearance dent. That’s what it took with my set up.

Thanks for all the info, GmachineDart, when I am done building up the motor around March I will definitely send you a message to go through with the kit. My 440 might get stored and my 400 might be used instead depending on what the 440 can clean up at.

Hello . I'm working on this exact issue . I have 69 Dart with 440 rb / 727. TTI with 2" tubes. I have someone changing the configuration of the two center tubes to allow borgenson box to fit properly . When i get the headers finished and k member/ motor and trans fitted to body I can send u a pic.

20170928_200413.jpg

I know I'm going to get flamed...

The 440 is such a poor fit in an a body, why not make the same power with a stroker small block. Everything fits nicely, no header issues, rubbing, vibrating, etc.

The 440 is such a poor fit in an a body, why not make the same power with a stroker small block. Everything fits nicely, no header issues, rubbing, vibrating, etc.

This is a good technical thread so if you want to go down that road start a thread about it......
JW

I researched this extensively after I took someone's word on here and bought a set of TTI's from them (I blame myself for not making a simple phone call though....)

My RB in my 68 cuda. You couldn't get an easier shot at the plugs. Custom headers are the way to go with an RB in an
A body
TTI's with PS are out unless you want to modify them and even then where that leads you I do not know.... Even with the Borgensen box they will not work. This came directly from TTI as they have test fit the deal.

Schumachers will work but it is extremely tight but that is also a subjective statement. In my job there are things I have to deal with that would trump changing out a simple spark plug with a RB deal in an A Body so to me it's a non point. Mileage may vary on that one.

Call Schumacher Creative services and talk to them. The owner is super nice. But before that go through their website and read up on everything.

There is 1 more header I believe (allpro?) but since it required a hole saw that's one doesn't interest me but I believe they work with PS.....

Good luck,
JW

KIMG0619.jpg

What did the headers cost you? Do you have a pictures from the side to see how they ran them?
The whole exhaust , headers and all was about $7,000. It's all stainless steel made with v-band clamps. I don't have side pics, but here are a few. They fit really well!

KIMG0566.jpg

KIMG0567.jpg

KIMG0455.jpg

That’s a lot of smackers!!

440 is not a poor fit, the problems are always with the headers and steering. I run manual steering and Schumacher headers with no vibrations even with a Schumacher torque strap. I know this tread is about power steering.

IMG_6373.jpg

IMG_6372.jpg

I have been running the borgeson box since they came out with the current box. With a 400 and 1 3/4" tti in my duster. I didn't dent anything.

-
Back