Born in the 50'es and the 70 was good to me.

-
The 50's were best for me still young and innocent enough to believe in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny. Then I had to grow up.

Old Man Ray, I STILL believe in Santa Claus. LOL!! Born in the 50s, lived it up in the 70s, come to think of it still living it up in 2014. Where so I start?

Long before computers, cell phones, and pagers my parents had a proven way to communicate with us. During the summer we would be outside all the time. you generally played on your own block. When you saw dads car rolling down the street it was time to get home for dinner. After dinner it was back outside. You had til the streetlights flickered then you better be in that house. We did not need phones etc for any of that. Everybody had a Schwinn bike, Hot Wheels, and Johnny Lightning cars. Pocket Magnafying lenses to burn holes in paper and burn ants, pockets of change to get a Good Humor ice cream when the little white truck was on our street. We had Hula Hoops. Played 4 Square, Fast Pitch behind the school. Two AM radio rock stations. One of them actually tried a gimmick to simulate stereo. If you tuned just to either side just a little there was a faint echo mimmicking stereo. There was not a place where you could not make money. From cutting grass, moving snow, collecting milk crates and bringing them to the local A&P, bottles had deposit money on them so finding them and hitting up the store could nete some cash. Stores always needed kids to help clean, paint, stock shelves, or help folks carry items. In fact one job I had in 1966 was working for the corner Rexall Pharmacy. I delivered drugs on the stores big red Schwinn Cycle Truck bike. This was an odd looking bike. Red with a metal plate between the frame tubes so the store name could be painted on, 26 inch wheel in the back, 20 inch wheel in the front, big metal mesh basket mounted under the handlebars, single speed with coaster brakes. It was a slow and heavy bike. Anyhow, I would get a box from the drugstore with multiple bags of drugs going to homes all over the place. In them bags were all sorts of drugs. I had to deliver all of them stopping at each home, collecting cash all the time leaving the bike unattended unlocked with all the other drugs and continue this until they were all delivered. At the end of the day I returned with an empty bike with a large bag of cash in the basket. Imagine trying that today!!
Chas.

That is an old picture of me. This ones from today to show you I am still in the spirit!!

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 115
how bout start driving in '62, get out of hs in '66????? anyone else???? here we go... 60's into the seventies......
running topend down dirt road that would have made the "Duke" boys barf on????
music that made your gossebumps have goosebumps???
ya had to figure to live for the moment... tomorrow might be Nam????
hey man... " i'll race ya home from school???? 75 mi one way.... he gave me a headstart, he had 68 sport sat, 383 4 speed.... green..... I had 64 ford 2 door post 283, blew a tire at bout halfway at 90 mph.... few minutes later as I jacked it up, I hear the roooooooommmmm, and by he goes!!! LOL
a big mac was $.99....... I could afford 1 per month. u of Ga. poor ***.....
1966.. watching 66 goat, 64 442, and 66 283 stang, run topend on I 75...... yes those 3 could go over overpass side by side at 120.
then can 1972... it becomes a blurr..... I awake, its 1980 and sucks!!!!!! what happened??????????????????????

wow!! some great life stories here for sure :coffee2: Thank you all for sharing some life styles with me I engoyed reading this morning :color: Riding a three wheel bike delivering drugs all around town back in the day had to be a great job for a young man JasRam :glasses7:
Racing these great old cars threw towns from town to town barbee6043 wow!!
The world sure has changed threw out the years, today it's unsafe for a Van to deliver folks there drugs nunless a teenager on a bike with cash and drugs with him, and shooting across a by pass at 120 mph would be touch and go today :toothy1:
Many different life styles from the 60's and 70'es :)

Aurora slot cars were great in the 60's! Still have mine, no interest from my kids though. Maybe if it had a screen and joystick.....

One memory was a VW Bettle junker a friend had and we welded metal plates on to a spare set of rims and made a snow vehicle out of! I wonder if it still on the bottom of the pond we fell through! Yes they do float, probably longer if it had floors.

Watching the moon landing on a black and white tv.

Playing outside all day wherever you wanted to after school as long as you made it home by dinner Mom and Dad were fine with it.

The first FM radio in the car was a big one. AC was a you are rich thing!

push style go carts

Mini bikes.

CB radios.

It's funny how when you hear song you remember certain things.

Heard this one on a commercial the other night and told my wife the year
and that I remember being at 4H camp that year.

Anybody remember this from 1970?
Check out the side burns.

302 Found

I remember that song like yesterday from the summer of 1970. I had just graduated from high school and my Dad had bought me a 70 Duster 340 with the promise I would go to college. I can remember driving to Panama City with my high school buds in the Duster listening to that song on the AM thumbwheel radio. Life was good and I was full of optimism.

This was the bike I was talking about anyone remember these? Dont know how small this picture will be as it was a copy from a website.

Attachments

• 1950's%20Cycle%20Truck%202.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 76
A group of buddies and I were talking about growing up in the 60s and all the memories etc and it reminded me of a much different time than today. It was agreat time to be a kid. There was so much to do. Video games, cell phones, texting, and walkmans were all non existent. Kids had to be kids. I think some of the coolest things was being able to watch the Mercury and Apollo space programs on TV. And the cars were the best part. They started getting smaller, wild paint, faster, and by the late 60s just about evet=ry muscle car had stripes all over them. Does anyone remember like me how GM, Ford, and Mopar had all them cars in body groups? GM had Olds, Pontiac, Buick, and Chevy and many of the cars shared bodies ad chassis and as kids we all learned to tell them apart by headlights and tail lights and grilles. I could look at a Chevelle and tell you in a second what year it was by the tail lights or the amount of headlights it had. There were so many muscle cars back then. Except for a few Volkswagons, MGs, Triumphs, and Jags pretty much everything was american made and most were loud and fast. We had a place near us called Skips. Weekends everybody showed up to street race in the evenings. Lots of cars and lots of wrecks. That was the big problem back then. Kids got behind the wheel of ill handling cars with lots of power and bad things happened.
I was victim of that situation with my first car in the early 70s. I bought a 69 Mustang Boss 302 and one of them late summer mornings going to school had to show off to the kids waiting for the bus and slam some gears only to lose the back end and drift off the road and into an apartment building sideways doing 65 mph. that was the end of my Boss 302. I had made a few more Ford purchases in the next two years and was introduced to my first Mopar. A 74 Challenger Rallye, 360-4 speed and to be followed by a sweet 70 Swinger 340. Been Mopar ever since and still have a 70 Swinger. We had it made back in those days!!:finga:

-
Back