Boss hog outlaw wild boar torque converter.

-
I don't blame anyone for trying to get a bargain on speed parts, especially lately. That's why I tried a GER. It was half the price of a converter from a reputable shop. If only it had been half as good, instead of being an utter pos. (It was a long time ago, when a trans swap wasn't a huge deal.)
At my age, doing a trans R&R for a garbage t/c is not in the cards. I'm guessing the trans and converter I want is $3000 now......

Only found all this after i had bought 1 send my B & M off for repair B & M say the holeshot is furnace brazed well only the tips had been tig welded no furnace brazing .
We cut the Boss hog apart found the 5/16" lugs they turned off still had the tabs in the housing which with a light touch fell out our converter guy said the snout was mild steel not chrome moly & about a 1/16 smaller diameter ,the inside was mig welded like **** also out of round caused the rotor to stick when turning basically a piece of **** luckily it wasn,t fitted .

Ouch! I got an MP 175K in it now, bought new from P.A.W. 1998 ish...dont know who made it but its worked so far. I got a Hughes under the bench, its one of their lower stall units. May run that on the turbo 273 as I dont need a higher stall for that.

Well, they have a bad reputation for two reasons. The Chevy guys love um and they SUCK.

Only found all this after i had bought 1 send my B & M off for repair B & M say the holeshot is furnace brazed well only the tips had been tig welded no furnace brazing .
We cut the Boss hog apart found the 5/16" lugs they turned off still had the tabs in the housing which with a light touch fell out our converter guy said the snout was mild steel not chrome moly & about a 1/16 smaller diameter ,the inside was mig welded like **** also out of round caused the rotor to stick when turning basically a piece of **** luckily it wasn,t fitted .
As you have found out, the only way to find out what has or has not been done to a converter is to cut it open. I worked in the transmission parts / converter industry and got to see a lot of converters cut open. I think we got to see most of them. Most of the brands you see recommended on this board were well built, some of the highly advertised brands not necessarily so. You get what you pay for: As you mention advertised as furnace brazed, but the tips of the vanes only tig welded. Well it's cheaper to do that then send components out to be furnace brazed, and the customer will never know what we actually did. Some replaced the torrington bearings, others do not (saves money), replace hubs, well not always, again saving money, checked for runout on the hub, pressure check for leaks, rebalance, a warranty (most no),again, we want to save money. Keep the costs down.
Do your research before spending your hard earned $$$$$.

Well last Sunday took the car for a ride put about 80 miles on it not one issue and had my now completely destroyed drag radials on. Yeah it works really well doesn't like to hook any more lol.

It's Russian roulette. Put one in my freinds mustang and it was junk. Replaced it under warranty and the second one has been running strong for 3 years now.

Sent them to our local http://www.allfast.com.au converter man $250 each to furnace braze ,new pump drive shaft 1 x new turbine balance reassemble does most of the street racers & drag cars here should have gone to him in the beginning

I've seen the cheaper converters from this company and this one looks 10x better. It list at $900 I think now I got it for $400.

What does it drive like at lower speeds my convertor guy said it has the right parts in it just poorly assembled he is doing both the Boss Hog is quite loose where the B & M is tight he is doing the B & M for a 150 shot 750 HP with 550 torque R3.
I paid about $700 new for the 3500 Nitrous from Boss hog

It's much more loose than my 2,500 Hughes i can tell you that! It cruises fine at 55 mph like the Hughes but it's addictive stabbing the throttle. It's what this engine needed.

What does it drive like at lower speeds my convertor guy said it has the right parts in it just poorly assembled he is doing both the Boss Hog is quite loose where the B & M is tight he is doing the B & M for a 150 shot 750 HP with 550 torque R3.
I paid about $700 new for the 3500 Nitrous from Boss hog
Why didn't you just get a converter made in Australia?

-
Back