Bought a crate engine today

-

zhandfull

Reaction score
Found this 380 HP magnum on craigslist. Came with trans, convertor, alternator, starter, ignition, and a Holley 770 Avenger carb. All new or rebuilt parts. They are going in to my 65 Valiant that has been sitting as a painted shell for about 3 years. Just kind of excited to get the project going again.

Do these magnum motors still use cast pistons? I know lot of people say bad things about the Mopar crate motors. However I had a 360 HP LA motor that I really liked in a 68 Dart.

65 Valiant 002 (Small).jpg

65 Valiant 005.jpg

65 Valiant 004.jpg

That's gonna be a great running car when you get it all put together. Congrat's on the crate motor score.Hope you got a good deal on it.Keep us posted on your progress.

i've had great luck with my 380/360. looks like you've got a great project. good luck with the build.

Good luck with that....I always seems too kill those 904's. 727 the only way to go for me.

If it's not too taboo, what'd you have to give for that?

I think thats the best part it was advertised last year for $3500 and when it came back up for $3000 the other day I made an offer for just a little less and he agreed. Thats for everything and a hurst shifter I forgot to list.

Its really tough to sell motors. The last 360 HP I had bought was a MP never ran and it had the carb. I bought it for $2,800 back when prices were high 4 or 5 years ago.

Now I need to get rolling on the front suspension and install the willwood brakes that I have had forever prior to installation of engine. Might also pull the pan and heads on engine to check it out its been setting inside for years but seems to be in good shape from my inspection.

904's are a good transmissions. They just need a little beefing up. On this Valiant build the 904 makes life a little easier and that is fine with me.

I think thats the best part it was advertised last year for $3500 and when it came back up for $3000 the other day I made an offer for just a little less and he agreed. Thats for everything and a hurst shifter I forgot to list.

Its really tough to sell motors. The last 360 HP I had bought was a MP never ran and it had the carb. I bought it for $2,800 back when prices were high 4 or 5 years ago.

Now I need to get rolling on the front suspension and install the willwood brakes that I have had forever prior to installation of engine. Might also pull the pan and heads on engine to check it out its been setting inside for years but seems to be in good shape from my inspection.

There have been some reports of crate motors that have sand in them,so pull it apart and clean/inspect.

-
Back