Bought a Van......

-
Those appear to be 2 piece adjustable, The Comp magnums ones I have messed with were 1 piece, and made wrong.
yes, mine were 1 piece. The new ones "improved" by Comp Cams are still one piece

Yes, it had the guide plates, but a couple of the push rods were scrapping it. Comp Cams admitted they had a bunch of "wrong" plates out there and sent him a new box. I didn't install them because the rockers "rocked" all over. I think the same roller rocker used on GM's is the same rollers they give for Mopars???? It's non-adjustable but does "adjust" by the center nut. Anyways, I installed the factory magnum rockers/guide plates I happen to have which fit snug as a bug in a rug.

Good. On the other thread about the distributor, I meant to tell you that since you have the GM style HEI, it DOES NOT require a resistor of any kind. It gets straight 12V. Which may be to your advantage to check and MAKE SURE it is 12V because it won't run right unless it is.

Good. On the other thread about the distributor, I meant to tell you that since you have the GM style HEI, it DOES NOT require a resistor of any kind. It gets straight 12V. Which may be to your advantage to check and MAKE SURE it is 12V because it won't run right unless it is.
or, should I decide to go points, I'd already have my 12V wire. Just install ballast in it, and run it to the coil, and then the 1 wire dizzy to the neg coil and boom! Fire!

or, should I decide to go points, I'd already have my 12V wire. Just install ballast in it, and run it to the coil, and then the 1 wire dizzy to the neg coil and boom! Fire!

Right. But I'd get rid of the black box either way.

Right. But I'd get rid of the black box either way.
that is my goal. I need to figure all what runs through that black box. I believe the fuel pump too. It will be learning for me….

that is my goal. I need to figure all what runs through that black box. I believe the fuel pump too. It will be learning for me….

Get you a factory service manual for it. That will show you the way.

Get you a factory service manual for it. That will show you the way.
honestly, i'd feel best if I pulled the tank and removed the electric pump and put a straight pick up in it's place, then run the mechanical fuel pump. He put a Comp Cam in it with the snout for the eccentric, but he said he didn't put the eccentric on it. I can pull the front down and put the eccentric on it then. Also, a good points distributor and I'd feel bullet proof, with a small bag of parts under the bed.

honestly, i'd feel best if I pulled the tank and removed the electric pump and put a straight pick up in it's place, then run the mechanical fuel pump. He put a Comp Cam in it with the snout for the eccentric, but he said he didn't put the eccentric on it. I can pull the front down and put the eccentric on it then. Also, a good points distributor and I'd feel bullet proof, with a small bag of parts under the bed.

We sound so much alike it's pitiful. I'm not sure I would replace the HEI with points, but I'm not gonna condemn it either. lol

Look what came in today.... this may be my route on this van.... or it will end up in my '74 Duster.

DSCN2654.JPG

DSCN2657.JPG

DSCN2655.JPG

DSCN2656.JPG

Also, that black ugly box "computer" acts as the voltage regulator as well. Another one of it's star functions.

Look what came in today.... this may be my route on this van.... or it will end up in my '74 Duster.

View attachment 1715446585

View attachment 1715446586

View attachment 1715446587

View attachment 1715446588
Taking a step backwards. lol maybe not, simple ignition system.
Man how times have changed. I saved under a 100 bucks in the late 70's to switch from dual points to electronic.
I made 50 bucks a week part time, so it took some time to save. lol
I remember the beautiful red plastic case the DC kit came in, no more points.
My old 74 Bayliner had a Mallory point distributor, replaced them with pertronics. never had to replace burned points on the lake again.
Can you imagine replacing points on choppy water after the kids left the key on. lol
Never again !

Taking a step backwards. lol maybe not, simple ignition system.
Man how times have changed. I saved under a 100 bucks in the late 70's to switch from dual points to electronic.
I made 50 bucks a week part time, so it took some time to save. lol
I remember the beautiful red plastic case the DC kit came in, no more points.
My old 74 Bayliner had a Mallory point distributor, replaced them with pertronics. never had to replace burned points on the lake again.
Can you imagine replacing points on choppy water after the kids left the key on. lol
Never again !
I like the factory Chrysler electronic ignition that we refer too.. from '72 up till lean burn. But this van has a black box computer. Here are my questions. IF I'm 5 states away from home and....
  1. And it starts discharging but not the alternator?? Who will have a black box on hand??? Do I buy one now and carry it with me? (kind of big/expensive)
  2. Fuel pump (yes, the old TBI pump) in tank goes out?? I'm thinking on carrying another inline with me.... will it pull through the one in the tank? Maybe mechanical pump on the old eccentric is the most bullet proof here.. and any parts store will have one.
  3. Maybe the GM dizzy is reliable and has parts available, but if something goes out in the middle of "Death Valley", would you rather have the GM dizzy or Points dizzy with a extra set of points in the glove box.???? (Oh, the GM cap fits as loose as a goose on that dizzy, don't like that either)

-
Back