Bought a Van......

-
Paying for that thing is why I had to save for bolts! LOL that was paid for a long time ago.. unless you're rich something like that you don't spend your spare cash on LOL...
???? unless your rich you don't spend your cash on head bolts??? :realcrazy:

???? unless your rich you don't spend your cash on head bolts??? :realcrazy:
You are back in full bloom + overdrive to make up time! What in the heck are you talking about now and how are you twisting my words to out out out out sorry I was screaming at the dog to get out all of a sudden when I was voice commanding LOL...

says the guy that has to save a month for head bolts.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I hope you're not under some wild conception that when the motorhome sold that it didn't go back into the bank? I don't sell stuff and then go buy a bunch of fun junk... All the stuff I buy for my car I earn working on other people's cars... When I don't work I don't buy parts...

I hope you're not under some wild conception that when the motorhome sold that it didn't go back into the bank? I don't sell stuff and then go buy a bunch of fun junk... All the stuff I buy for my car I earn working on other people's cars... When I don't work I don't buy parts...
well, that's a good way to do it..... Put that money right back on top of all that stash. No sense in digg'n in your sock for head bolts. Let those thousands sit....

I continue to tinker... lol. I adjusted the lokar kickdown so now I have a passing gear … Yeeeehaa. Went to a larger air cleaner, the one that was on it was so flat it had about a 1/4" to breathe from on top. Also verified it is a 670 SA.

DSCN2831.JPG

Ok, as good as this runs, I discovered something. I tuned my ear, even drove it with the dog house off, I hear at the top of the valve covers something that just didn't seem normal. The guy I bought it from gave me new Comp Cam push rod guides with it and said on his trip to Florida, one cracked. So, I pull the drivers valve cover and it has Comp Cam roller rockers, mounted on adapting stud mounts to 3/8. Some of the rollers were half off the valves. I rotated the engine till valves were shut and some of the rockers were so lose I could almost pull the roller off the valves. No adjuster at the push rod, but I could tighten the nut that holds the rocker and take the slack out, but not before it was solid on the push rod and valve. I'm pulling them off and putting original magnum rockers and plates on. Got 3 cylinders done before the "Eve events started", and the factory magnum rockers are fitting as I would expect. Any ideas what may have went wrong with the comp cam roller set up????
pittsburghracer
PRH
Jadaharabi
DSCN2849.JPG

Last edited:
Ok, as good as this runs, I discovered something. I tuned my ear, even drove it with the dog house off, I hear at the top of the valve covers something that just didn't seem normal. The guy I bought it from gave me new Comp Cam push rod guides with it and said on his trip to Florida, one cracked. So, I pull the drivers valve cover and it has Comp Cam roller rockers, mounted on adapting stud mounts to 3/8. Some of the rollers were half off the valves. I rotated the engine till valves were shut and some of the rockers were so lose I could almost pull the roller off the valves. No adjuster at the push rod, but I could tighten the nut that holds the rocker and take the slack out, but not before it was solid on the push rod and valve. I'm pulling them off and putting original magnum rockers and plates on. Got 3 cylinders done before the "Eve events started", and the factory magnum rockers are fitting as I would expect. Any ideas what may have went wrong with the comp cam roller set up????
pittsburghracer
PRH
Jadaharabi
View attachment 1715442568

Just for fun I would measure the distance from the rocker stud to the valve stem.

You have that other set of Magnum heads measure them and compare them. Just out of curiosity.

Just for fun I would measure the distance from the rocker stud to the valve stem.

You have that other set of Magnum heads measure them and compare them. Just out of curiosity.
I could, but when I replace the Comp roller rocker with the factory magnum rocker, it's seems perfect. Problem seems to be the roller has too much "rocking" on the pedestal. The only way to take the excessive "rocking" out is to tighten the nut on that holds the roller rocker in place but then it pins it against the valve and push rod. Strange....

I could, but when I replace the Comp roller rocker with the factory magnum rocker, it's seems perfect. Problem seems to be the roller has too much "rocking" on the pedestal. The only way to take the excessive "rocking" out is to tighten the nut on that holds the roller rocker in place but then it pins it against the valve and push rod. Strange....
Mopar Sam

Any ideas what may have went wrong with the comp cam roller set up????

I have tried the Comp guide plates before and the spacing is wrong. This was with PRW 1.6 rockers. The spacing between the pushrod slots was too narrow. There was no way the roller tips for any pair of rockers would contact the valve stems with much more than half of the roller ( when I say pair , I mean any 2 rockers which share the same guide plate). I am talking about front to back alignment. I wouldn't give you a nickle for the comp guide plates. The only way I see that they would work is to cut them in half and weld them, after getting the alignment right, and who wants to weld on an assembled motor?

I have a set of unused ones sitting in the shop, I will NEVER sell them, I just ain't that mean.

I have tried the Comp guide plates before and the spacing is wrong. This was with PRW 1.6 rockers. The spacing between the pushrod slots was too narrow. There was no way the roller tips for any pair of rockers would contact the valve stems with much more than half of the roller ( when I say pair , I mean any 2 rockers which share the same guide plate). I am talking about front to back alignment. I wouldn't give you a nickle for the comp guide plates. The only way I see that they would work is to cut them in half and weld them, after getting the alignment right, and who wants to weld on an assembled motor?

I have a set of unused ones sitting in the shop, I will NEVER sell them, I just ain't that mean.
THANK YOU!!!! This HAS to be it. Some of my pushrods were scraping the guide plates. It wasn't making sense when I studied it. Oh, you inbox is full or something?

THANK YOU!!!! This HAS to be it. Some of my pushrods were scraping the guide plates. It wasn't making sense when I studied it. Oh, you inbox is full or something?

If I get time, I will mock a set up on an old Mag block and shoot a couple of pics. I may be wrong about weather the spacing on the pushrod side was too narrow or too wide. I just know it was wrong.

People keep saying my inbox is full, but it is not, must be a glitch in the system.

If I get time, I will mock a set up on an old Mag block and shoot a couple of pics. I may be wrong about weather the spacing on the pushrod side was too narrow or too wide. I just know it was wrong.

People keep saying my inbox is full, but it is not, must be a glitch in the system.
They are too narrow. After I pulled the roller rocker, I tried moving the push rod in the slot and some of them scraped the guide plate. Yikes. The guy I bought the van from said he broke a guide plate on his trip to Florida with it, and Comp gave him a new box of plates that are supposed be improved which he gave to me with the purchase. I'm just installing the factory set up.... just wanted to understand the issue...

We've PM'd before about the gears, but now your profile page doesn't have the option.

I ran into something the other day that may help, but I reckon I wasn't asked...
You seem to be pretty specific who you wanted your help from..:thumbsup:..
Continue on....

I ran into something the other day that may help, but I reckon I wasn't asked...
You seem to be pretty specific who you wanted your help from..:thumbsup:..
Continue on....
Sorry I couldn't list every name on this site.. LOL. Don't let your undies get in a bundle. Mopar Sam wasn't listed either but he listed the answer. :)

Sorry I couldn't list every name on this site.. LOL. Don't let your undies get in a bundle. Mopar Sam wasn't listed either but he listed the answer. :)
Good point one of them can't even get a small block into an abody...
I saw something really odd to me in that 273.. and had Harland sharp rockers with the biggest rollers I've ever seen... Sitting on top of each one of the valve tips was a cap that was making the landing surface much bigger... Looked crazy to me but I guess people do it...

Good point one of them can't even get a small block into an abody...
I saw something really odd to me in that 273.. and had Harland sharp rockers with the biggest rollers I've ever seen... Sitting on top of each one of the valve tips was a cap that was making the landing surface much bigger... Looked crazy to me but I guess people do it...
I don't know about the caps, but I have Harland Sharpe rollers on my '01 Ram. I think Harland Sharpe is amoung the tops when it comes to fitment and quality

I don't know about the caps, but I have Harland Sharpe rollers on my '01 Ram. I think Harland Sharpe is amoung the tops when it comes to fitment and quality
They were put on a 273 in place of the factory rockers along with hydraulic lifters LOL the geometry was way off and they we're rolling off the tips I could tell and I think the machine shop use them as a Band-Aid...

They were put on a 273 in place of the factory rockers along with hydraulic lifters LOL the geometry was way off and they we're rolling off the tips I could tell and I think the machine shop use them as a Band-Aid...
geometry? You've just called YR.. :D

-
Back