Bought my first rare "SS" B body this weekend. :)

-

Johnny Mac

www.blueprintengines.com
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
Well its not a 70 charger, but it is a B body. Despite the popular guesses, it is not a torino, or a Monte Carlo lol, its none other than the extremely rare "SS" dodge monaco. similar to the cordoba or magnum. The seller kept trying to entice me by telling me how rare it was...and despite the fact I had never seen a 2 door, or whatever the Titled SS package was...I was intrigued enough to drive it home. I think I did ok for 1800. Solid car. No rust other than some surface from faded paint. 60k miles. Georgia car.

Contemplating everytging from efi to a mild turbo setup. Just a neat old cruiser. Rides like a dream. Just wanted to post some pics because I had honestly never seen a 2 door. And its a pretty forgotten B body. Feedback welcome.

Attachments

• 00V0V_a9F1oruXqLW_600x450.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 605
  • IMG_1255.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 573
  • imagejpeg_0_4.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 573
  • imagejpeg_0_3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 565
  • IMG_1256.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 564
Dang you rarely see those, great find from a less-popular Mopar era. I'd totally appreciate owning that!

Check out those fender turn-signal indicators, cool.

I dig it. Got a 75 road runner vibe.
Never heard of a SS Monaco?????, weird. See'n to believe that one.
Id keep it original.
Doesn't appear to have been messed with rusted or banged up looking at the pictures. Cool. Enjoy.

Nice car , with a good 440 watch out ! Great find/deal !

Thanks all. Its just a 318 2bbl car. Build sheet actually says SS Monaco. Can't really tell if the stripes are original or not. Has some neat options for a csr like that. Dual remote.mirrors. the turn signal indicators on the fenders, the market lights, and the steering column is all identical to my 74 dart. Drove good. Ran ehh. Someone eliminated all the lean burn crap, but didnt do much to plug vac ports or tune the carb. So a fun project to keep on the road opposed to start chasing ET's with like I did with the now, 10 second aforementioned dart.

I will cite here too im laying a little sarcasm here with the "rare" comment. Lol. I understand few and far between doesnt make it a money car. Ha. The seller made me chuckle going on and on about the rarity. I must admit I hadnt seen one before this though!!

Few pics of the goofy white seats, supposedly stock. And the engine bay...that needs some attention. And im gonna need a lesson on if the a/c is worth saving or not...

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0_5.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_5284.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_1274.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 479
My mom had a '75 Fury, same body style, during the mid '80's. They are nice driving cars, especially on the highway. Her car had some kind of vacuum operated switch hooked up to the driver side fender indicator light. It would come on when you were driving "enthusiastically", to let you know you were not getting optimum fuel mileage. Whenever my dad drove it, the indicator light stayed on most of the time.

I wondering if the build sheet is not typo and should be SE?
Anyways cool car, I had a 76 Fury 4-door, very smooth riding cars.

Line 1. SS MONACO 2 DOOR....

TOTAL price at the bottom...6471 new...idk if I could have shelled that out on this gem lol

Attachments

• 20150921_064348.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 421
That's cool. $1800 is a good deal I think. I just made a comment on here the other day that I didn't know of any Mopar "SS" cars. Now I do.

Interesting.

You can actually get a 1/25 scale model of that.

The "Force 440" cop car.

Years ago a critique of the model was that "Chrysler never offered that car as a 2 door". Guess this proves that wrong.

My first car was a '76 Charger.

Always loved that body style, if anything, for sentimental purposes.

"SS" means the same on that as it does on any other boat, land yacht or otherwise.

Enjoy it, that's a sharp car, and evidently it's steam powered.

Interesting.

You can actually get a 1/25 scale model of that.

The "Force 440" cop car.

Years ago a critique of the model was that "Chrysler never offered that car as a 2 door". Guess this proves that wrong.

thats pretty cool! ha but for $70 on amazon, I guess i'll have to pass.

i'm sure the SS literally means nothing beyond the "dual sport mirrors" and maybe the striped is they were factory. But still kind of neat.

next step is diagnose the slop in the steering (probably tie rod ends or pitman arm)
and figure out why i had the blinkers working just fine yesterday...and they aren't cooperating again this morning.

i think i'll keep the blue, maybe a similar stribe but black. probably lose the white seats, and recover them in black. I know i could never keep a white interior clean.

perhaps just throw a 4 bbl intake on it and a fitech system? or who knows, maybe this will even be our test mule for an eagle hemi swap.

My dad had one, around the same year.Not the rare "SS " package, though.2 door brown, that padded half vinyl roof. Gold shiney embroiderd type fabric interior. it was a brougham?

I'd like to see some production numbers in this configuration, but i don't see many vin decoders and such for 1978. Again not sure how "rare" the SS version is. not like it's a big block car...probably didn't mean much. but anyways. thanks everyone for the feedback! I may post some pics as it goes together...i'd probably get laughed off the B body site so i'll hang over here where my beak car (74 dart) and this USS Monaco Navy Destroyer ship aren't shunned for not being barret jackson worthy. lol

Ahhh the Buyit Jackman auction scene is overrated anyways. Makes for good entertainment on TV though.

Years ago i had a 77 charger SE. It had everything including buckets and console. People thought it was either a monte carlo or a cordoba. I didnt care, it rode nice. It had a 400 in it, i put a 440 in it.

Matt

According to the Standard Catalog of Chrysler 7509 two door coupes were built and 1540 had the SS package.

I may post some pics as it goes together...i'd probably get laughed off the B body site so i'll hang over here where my beak car (74 dart) and this USS Monaco Navy Destroyer ship aren't shunned for not being barret jackson worthy. lol

There's a good following of the late model B-'s over on FBBO.

According to the Standard Catalog of Chrysler 7509 two door coupes were built and 1540 had the SS package.

wow thats awesome..lol so i'm probably the owner of the only one left in Ohio.

There's a good following of the late model B-'s over on FBBO.

I'm registered over there, just hadn't done much with it since i never had a B body. i cruised the classifides looking for a nice B body, basically anything up until 74. but the "project cars" over there people still want 15K for made me cry. lol. never though i'd end up with a 78 B body in the garage lol

-
Back