Bracing shock towers?

-
I think that will be fine if you were to put in frame conectors too. But to be sure, I would do frame conectors, and properly brace the tower. You will not be happy Once your doors don't shut because you didn't streigthen the car.

I don't understand people that think you can cut parts out of a unibody and think its OK. Some people have heard me say this befor, But personally, Fenderwells look discusting. The only reason you would need them is if you are making a Strip car for race porpose only. You won't feal the difference in flow with fenderwells or underchassi on a street/strip car.

I read the hole post, and I understand where you are coming from with the swiss cheese inner fenders. I have a '72 demon project with just that. But I would replace them with new innerfenders any day of the week. They are cheap, and will help your engine bay to stay cleaner..and cleaner looking (not a hack job) You could sell your fenderwells for a good buck, and buy some B body headers and make them work as shown here
http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/BBody.shtml

Like I said...I just dislike fenderwells, and why everyone and there dog thinks that they are way better, and are needed for flow with a 440 in an A body, just bugs me.
Let me tell you, chargers came with 440's stock, and you don't see people ripping the manifolds off and putting in fenderwell headers do you? They might put headers in...but not fenderwells. Now I'm getting on a rant.

Sorry

Back to your car...it sounds like you have allready cut them out. so your only options realluy are...

1. Buy or make proper suports from K member to firewall
  2. put in frame conectors, and your idea of the loop above the shock tower
  3. buy inner fenders and put in underchassi headers
No matter what you choose, I would recomend fram conectors with either one.

I am guessing TonyGTS has Frame conectors...and if your car is as rusty on the inner fenders as you say they are...don't think the rest of your car can hold up without added suport.

Good luck with the desision makeing

Phil

i have frame connectors & underchassis headers are for pussies. you asked for it. :thebirdm:

first off i wouldnt brag about hitting potholes. its not something to be proud of. second, has your car been on a frame machine? if not you dont know that its straight. my scamp had its bumper hit and the frame got bent. but thats not the point. i agree with your point that your car will twist WITH or WITHOUT the inner fenders in. thats why i said i would leave them in, AND brace it. since these cars are so flexible. not add to it, by cutting even more sheetmetal out. but i could be wrong. i am still learning. have a nice day and good luck with the potholes.:)

im not bragging, i was just proving that it wont fold up.

i have frame connectors & underchassis headers are for pussies. you asked for it. :thebirdm:

How did I ask for it? and why the:thebirdm:?

If you got your panties wadded up because I said the rusted inner fenders part..I was refering to baxters car, not yours. I was proving a point that the reason your car has NOT folded in half is because it has frame conectors. WHICH I HIGHLY RECOMEND. Your car looks nice tonyGTS...but more and more like a hack job with every pic you post.

I though I would at least give you a reason for the :thebirdm:

Phil

Id still rather have it tied together.

I agree. I see stuff at the track all the time that I wouldn't run.

It's not that tough to put in a pair of snout bars. The front rails are held on with about 40-60 spot welds in total without the inners. Very few are forward of the firewall when the inners are removed. Not really enough IMHO. Then you are levering from the firewall forward. The engine and trans, not designed for it, will take some of the load through the trans crossmember.

I acquired this interesting attempt that needs some serious repair. Prior owner got busy with a sawzall and cutting wheel after having it running good with a BB and chassis headers.

Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

It's either getting inners and radiator support replaced, or snout bars.

Buy, cut, weld up your own tube and weld it to the brace so nothing moves.

Well here's what happened with the car. It came with the fenderwells, they werent my choice, they came on the car. A previous owner (I found out this cars been like a cheap slut around my neighborhood and been with about 8 guys in 2 years) cut the fenderwells and drilled huge holes all over the inner fenders and firewall. I personally like the look of inner fenders removed, that was part of my reasoning with finishing the job. My initial plan was to build removable inner fenders for working on the motor, and I asked over on moparts if they offer structural support and I was told no so thats why I continued on my path. Anyways, the car already has welded in subframe connectors. I was planning on working on the car this summer, thats why I began to bring it up again.

How did I ask for it? and why the:thebirdm:?

If you got your panties wadded up because I said the rusted inner fenders part..I was refering to baxters car, not yours. I was proving a point that the reason your car has NOT folded in half is because it has frame conectors. WHICH I HIGHLY RECOMEND. Your car looks nice tonyGTS...but more and more like a hack job with every pic you post.

I though I would at least give you a reason for the :thebirdm:

Phil

my reason for the middle finger was because you keep on repeating "fenderwell headers look discusting"

OK, enufffff off this gentalmen or I'll start in with blanking posts and handing out "Time Outs" for a week. Or more.

how do you figure? you pissed right off with me cause I like underchassi, and I don't like the look of fenderwells...to each there own. But because I don't like the look of fenderwells, you have the right to tell me to F$@& off???!!!??

not cool

you know why im %^&*( %^&(%^&(, you should have kept your 2 #$% cents to yourself.

$%^*$%^** you started this ****,

every time i log on this site i read you say "fenderwell headers are discusting" now i said what i think about underchassis & you say i piss my pants.

$^*& ^&*^&*.

Children sometimes sit on laps and read these threads with parents. Take it elsewhere.

%&(%^(&%^& you started this ****,

every time i log on this site i read you say "fenderwell headers are discusting" now i said what i think about underchassis & you say i piss my pants.

%^&(%^&(.

How did i sart this...Answer the question above.

And please stop swearing.

Children sometimes sit on laps and read these threads with parents. Take it elsewhere.

I agree. And I am sorry, But I havn't sworn, I am just wanting to know why he has lost it on me, and why he thinks he has the right to say what he wants to and I don't.

You can click on the profile, and click ignor, and then that persons posts won't apear for you to see.

I asked over on moparts if they offer structural support and I was told no so thats why I continued on my path.

Absolutely, positively 100% incorrect!

The inners provide structural support for the entire front subframe assembly.

I'm never amazed by comment or advice provided on the internet.

OK, TONY GTS, you have earned a time out. See ya in 7 days. No go cool off.

If this keeps up, I'll have to take further action.

NOW, BACK TO OUR THREAD!

wowzers! talk about throwing a fit. im glad that doesnt go on often around here. its not the point of this resource. oh an mrtires24.... i like your p!$$ yellow f*ing duster.:-D

Ok..... My $0.02 will probably light some girlyman's hormones on fire but WTF..... Why do I see and hear all this about flex concern when alot of you are leaving off the factory fender to firewall braces that Ma Mopar provided you from the factory? I'll still use them on my 452 Six Pack Duster with fenderwell headers and they clear what needs clearing and must do some good..... No frame machine checks or pothole stories just a few 1.80 60 ft times and lots of fun on the street.... Everybody's car is gonna be a little different depending on rust or how well the spot welds were placed from the factory and other custom mods... I think we can all agree though that just leaving naked frame rails hanging out with no subconnectors or other braces is asking for a failure of some kind.

Ok..... My $0.02 will probably light some girlyman's hormones on fire but WTF..... Why do I see and hear all this about flex concern when alot of you are leaving off the factory fender to firewall braces that Ma Mopar provided you from the factory?

Are you talking about the braces that goes from where the fender bolts up to the cowl? If so I think those only came on 73 up a bodies I know I have seen them on 74's anyway but I am not sure about 73's. But they didn't come on the earlier cars 68-72. That may be why you aren't seeing them in a lot of the pics. I may be misunderstanding you though if so sorry to jump in. Justin

-
Back