Brad Penn Oil

-

CUDACOX

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm seriously thinking of switching from Z-alt 20/50 to Brad Penn with zinc.What weight oil would you use,or what do you use? I'm thinking 10/30 would be fine.My 340 is fairly stock.I just heard this oil is very good and using a lighter oil will give more HP and Torque.My oil pressure now when cold is almost 80psi,warm it drops to 65-70,hot sitting at a light about 28-30.Let me know what you think.Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you've got a healthy 340 there and doesn't really need the 20/50 heavy weight oil for good protection. I would go with the 10/30 and it should be fine.You might see a 5-10 psi drop in your oil pressure but still have plenty of pressure to keep your engine running strong. tmm

Sounds like you've got a healthy 340 there and doesn't really need the 20/50 heavy weight oil for good protection. I would go with the 10/30 and it should be fine.You might see a 5-10 psi drop in your oil pressure but still have plenty of pressure to keep your engine healthy. tmm
Thank You.

x2 on 10w30.

You only need 10psi per 1000rpm in the engine. If you go beyond that, it's because of viscosity increase, which increases pressure and actually hurts flow, which is just as relevant as viscosity. Oil viscosity cushions/ insulates parts and flow cools them.

10w40 would be ok on a stock engine that had higher milage with looser oil clearances.

Going 20w50 is only really necessary if it's a high heat, high rpm or heavy use engine. Race or otherwise.

Brad Penn is good stuff.

5w30 will get oil where it needs to be quicker on start up.
..it'll be 30w at operating temperature.

You want the lightest lubricant that will do the job. So long as the bottom end clearances are close to stock 10w30 is a great choice.

Oil pressure doesn't mean the engine is getting well lubricated!!! Think about it, the oil pressure tap is pretty much upstream of everything. If you blocked all the passages at the bearings, you'd have great oil pressure on the gauge. Also, by definition viscosity is resistance to flow. Flow is a good thing.

I run Brad Penn 10w-30 in my street dart and my race dart. Good oil and plenty of protection. Fact is when my race motor was gone threw earlier this year they reused the bearings because were still like new.

Hi all, I'm seriously thinking of switching from Z-alt 20/50 to Brad Penn with zinc.What weight oil would you use,or what do you use? I'm thinking 10/30 would be fine.My 340 is fairly stock.I just heard this oil is very good and using a lighter oil will give more HP and Torque.
My oil pressure now when cold is almost 80psi,warm it drops to 65-70,hot sitting at a light about 28-30. Let me know what you think.Thanks in advance!

My numbers are pretty close to these, 85-85+psi cold, 60-70 driving depending on rpm, 35+ hot at idle. Running synthetic 10-40 in a 440. I worry about too high of pressure.

Just bought a case of Penn Grade 10-W30.

Also, I don't agree with the 5W-30 being the same as a 10-W30 at operating temp. Different oils, even within the same grading numbers on the label, will all have different actual viscosity numbers, which are not the rating numbers on the label, depending on what additives are in the pack used. If you are ever curious about any oil and it's test factors, I'd urge to visit http://www.bobistheoilguy.com and search it.

Brad Penn has 1500 PPM of Zinc and about the same in Phosphorus. I talked to the Hill Petroleum division sales rep for Brad Penn when I bought the case from him at Hill.

He told me that they are running into a new problem now, where all of these companies that have jumped on the high Zinc bandwagon are putting too much of it in and they are getting reports of rusting issues. Zinc is a highly acidic metal.

For whatever it's worth, Penn Grade, the stuff you want to use of their lines of oils, is the same exact formula, made by the same people, at the same plant as the original Kendall GT One formula.

kendall-GT-1.jpg

They left the formula alone and continue making it specifically for flat tappet cam applications, under the Brad Penn name, since Kendall was bought out by Conoco.

http://www.penngrade1.com/Zinc.aspx

Use it.

-
Back