Brake and light inspection

-

ellococt

Reaction score
i went to a shop to get a brake a light and inspection on my 1971 plymouth scamp it failed reason turn signal lights inside the car in the cluster did not work, and when you pull the ebrake i quote the technician "the brake light should light up" is this correct? i already fixed the turn signals it was just the bulbs but how do i check the ebrake is there a switch somewhere for the ebrake to light up in the cluster?

Maybe in ca that's the way it works but not in PA. I"ve never seen the brake lights come on when using the e-brake...that's bull.

ok so when i pull the Ebrake wheres is the switch located? i already tried changing the bulb.

Also does anyone have a wiring diagram? that would help out alot! i tried searching but couldnt find one and im not sure haynes makes a book for 1971 scamp

ok so when i pull the Ebrake wheres is the switch located? i already tried changing the bulb.

Located on a bracket beside the E Brake rod towards the back. I'll take a look at a 71FSM and see what it says.

Go to www.mymopar.com that's were I found one for my cuda. On the left side look for tools and ref. click on it. Hope this helps.

i found it but the wire that is connected to that switch is black with a red stripe and i cant find it on the wiring diagram? maybe i have the wrong one let me look

Are you talking about the light on the instrument panel ? If so sorry.

According to the 71 FSM there should be a black wire with tracer coming off the e Brake switch. This wire runs to the brake light on the dash. Within the harness it connects to a wire running to the bulkhead connecter and from there to the brake warning switch in the engine compartment. Also make sure your switch at the e brake is positioned so that when the handle is pulled out, the plunger on the switch is either not touching or touching (can't remember) the main part of the e brake rod. Hope this helps

one side of that bulbsocket is hot in run and either switch will provide the ground with 1 wire and bulb comes on . If its a good bulb and socket. Those sockets break often too.

I'm glad that I live in a state that doesn't worry about trivial things like an in-dash turn signal light not working....
I've got the fender mounted ones as back-up and a loud flasher.

So glad Fl stopped that crap. Pull the wire off the e brakes switch, hook ohmeter to it for ground. Seem to remember, the e brake handle had to be twisted back horizontal for switch to get contact.

one side of that bulbsocket is hot in run and either switch will provide the ground with 1 wire and bulb comes on . If its a good bulb and socket. Those sockets break often too.

its a new socket i ordered the last 7 from rockauto.com new bulb next step is to purchase an ohmeter and check for voltage and so forth thanks for all your help everyone as for today im done i need some relax time lol

-
Back