Brake booster

-

BarracudaDave

Reaction score
140.jpg

I am new to the Mopar world. Just bought a 65 Barracuda that I plan to get back on the road. Just joined A-Bodies. What a great group!

I found a box like the one in the picture sitting in the trunk. I can see that it mounts on the drivers side fender well. No idea what is does or how to hook it up.????? Something to do with a power brake booster??Any advice would be appreciated. I'm stumped on this one.

Barracudadave

It's not a brake booster that much I can tell you. What it really is I have no idea.

It's basically the vacuum storage for the booster, unlike the later boosters that are all one shot type of deal

Sounds good. I'll need to find the correct brake booster for the car. It currently has no booster. Thanks for the info!

I believe that was part of a dealer add on for power brakes back in the day. I had a 1960 valiant with that , the original owner told me about the dealer add-on. Lawrence

Interesting.

Some people have recommended staying away from power brakes if you are running a hot cam. The vacuum at idle is usually not very good or at least inconsistent. I wonder if this contraption would help with that situation??

Sounds good. I'll need to find the correct brake booster for the car. It currently has no booster. Thanks for the info!

Hi!

Your vacuum canister is the orginal one. Manufactured by PMD. Actually the same for the 1958 Impala!! Mounts on the left inner fender. The hose goes to the upper outlet in the brake booster. The lower outlet goes to the check valve and then down to the intake. Good luck with your car and welcome into the Abody world.

For your A-body, you need both a booster and stand-off brackets. The brackets put the booster up above the pedal rod centerline to clear the valve covers and have a lever to transfer the force to the booster. You can buy after-market boosters and MC's for ~$280, indeed see a recent post asking which was the best of 4. On my 65 Dart, I got a booster and brackets from a junkyard 74 Dart, but changed to a 96 Breeze booster w/ alum MC. You also need a proportioning valve to decrease pressure to your rear drums or they will lock up first and spin the car on a turn. Factory was a fixed ratio or better to use an adjustable one ($25). It wouldn't hurt to use your reservoir if it doesn't leak, and will give a period look.

Interesting.

Some people have recommended staying away from power brakes if you are running a hot cam. The vacuum at idle is usually not very good or at least inconsistent. I wonder if this contraption would help with that situation??
I just got one from 66340sedan/keith just for that reason Paul:glasses7:

Sounds good. Thanks for all of the info! Once I get the booster and master cylinder situated, I'll get it hooked up!

-
Back