Brake drum problem

-

slx70

Reaction score
I have a 1971 10" front brake drum that I removed and I want to replace the drum, the problem I am having is I can not remove the hub from the drum! can anyone give me some advice. Thanks.

Have you tried dropping it squarely on a hard surface? Open side of drum down.

i had one once that was so tight that when i tried pressing out bent the drum inwards. i had even let it soak for 2 days. thank god for part cars. lol

I tried removing one once I ended up with a bent hub.
I believe that there is a special drill bit needed to remove the base of the studs in order to get the old drum off.

Some of these have a SWEDGE on the top of the stud knurl. THIS MUST BE REMOVED, or you will destroy the drum. Someone may chime in, but "someone" makes a swedge cutter, a tools sort of like a hole saw which fits down over the stud and cuts the swedge down.

Think of it just like a rivet.

Some of these have a SWEDGE on the top of the stud knurl. THIS MUST BE REMOVED, or you will destroy the drum. Someone may chime in, but "someone" makes a swedge cutter, a tools sort of like a hole saw which fits down over the stud and cuts the swedge down.

Think of it just like a rivet.
+1 on this. If it's all original, It's semi permanently connected to the hub. I ran into this on my 66 Dart If memory serves me.

I understood that the swaged studs were only used until ~68, but hard to say since it goes away when drums are replaced. The swage isn't much, just something they used at the factory to keep it together during assembly. You can probably cut it off with a Dremel tool wheel or a hand file.

If your goal is to save the hub and you don't care about the studs or drum, you can do like I did at the junkyard to get a hub off a 67 Satellite. Put the lug nuts on flush and beat them thru with a hammer. That will shear the swages off. Once all studs are off, do the "throw drum on pavement" trick until the hub falls out. I like to pick a closed shopping center or somewhere other than my own driveway. If the drum has been replaced before, there won't be any swages, so just spray WD-40 and start throwing, but put the lug nuts on loosely so the hub doesn't hit the ground. A propane torch on the drum might help too by expanding the hub hole.

-
Back