Brake drums won't fit HELP! (pics)

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
I have changed to Yukon axles and the brake drum center will not fit over the center of the axle. The center of the axle is 2 3/4" and the drum center is 2 1/4".

What drums will fit the axles with 10" brake shoes?

Cuda boot area 045.jpg

Cuda boot area 046.jpg

Cuda boot area 047.jpg

Yup, you have to have them machined out. A manchine shop when I had mine done charged me 30 bucks for both bujt that is when I had the 383 Scamp 5 or 6 years ago.

Yup, you have to have them machined out. A manchine shop when I had mine done charged me 30 bucks for both bujt that is when I had the 383 Scamp 5 or 6 years ago.

Was your brake shoes 10" X 1 3/4"?

Another words did everything else work fine?

Did you switch to a 4.5 inch bolt pattern and just drill out the drums? I think I have read that the big bolt pattern axles have a larger register to center the drum and wheel. I"m picking up an 8.75 tomorrow and think I will have the same issues in a week or two!

you need to get drums for an 8 1/4 axle because they have a bigger center hole. the drums are about $30 each at local parts store.

yeah it looks like that is what happened the drums have been drilled for bbp anyway if those are the same backing plates that have always been with those drums just having them machined out should work since the backing plate is what determines all the measurements for what shoes work with them Good Luck Justin

Did you switch to a 4.5 inch bolt pattern and just drill out the drums? I think I have read that the big bolt pattern axles have a larger register to center the drum and wheel. I"m picking up an 8.75 tomorrow and think I will have the same issues in a week or two!

Yeah.

Someone drilled them out as well as the axles to convert from 4" to 4.5". I'm actually cleaning up their mess. They ran bolts through the axles and then spot welded them on the back.

you need to get drums for an 8 1/4 axle because they have a bigger center hole. the drums are about $30 each at local parts store.

Do you know what year I should look for that would have a 8 1/4?

All I been able to find is 10 x 2 1/2 I need 10 x 1 3/4.

i know for sure a 74 dart had an 8.25 that is what i got mine out of so you may be able to just order them for that if all you need is any 8.25 drum

I just checked Advance Auto website and searched drums for a 74 dart with a 318 and the 10" drums came up. They were right at $30 each.

Was your brake shoes 10" X 1 3/4"?

Another words did everything else work fine?

Yes you bet, and everything worked like a dream. I didn't use Yukon axle's, but summerbro's, and e brake all went back in. And I did change to the 4.5 BP. and I think the drums came off a Aspen Wagon. The BP was ok just the center was to small.

i used a 73 duster drums. the 2 1/2 should fit ive never heard of 1 3/4 drums.

They will still have to be machined out, that is what I had and the center was still to small. The only thing I can think is maybe Yukon axles have a smaller center than other after market axles.

i used drums from a 66 b body 8 3/4 rear. i think they were 10x2" drums?

I guess I'll go for getting some new drums.

The brake shoes are 10" x 1 3/4" and I know you might think I'm crazy but that's what they measure. I don't mind trying a 10x 2" drum or 10x 2 1/2 but that's mostly what I concerned about is the depth of the drum.

I really don't know where to start far as year and model but I'll try some of the ones you have mentioned.

u need to find out what brakes them axles are meant to be used with...there is a 3/8 diff in the axle which determines which backing plate, shoe drum needs to be used

u need to find out what brakes them axles are meant to be used with...there is a 3/8 diff in the axle which determines which backing plate, shoe drum needs to be used

I got them from Mancini racing all it says is

MANCINI - 8 3/4 - 28" A-body Axle

8 3/4 28" axle with ARP 3" wheel studs and green bearings installed.

you would be better off just putting a set of large bolt pattern drums ( the complete set up) on there and forget about that stuff your messing with now.

Doug- I'll check it and see. I know what you are talking about.

abodyjoe- That's not what I wanted to hear.

they will all use a b body, c body or truck drum setup. junkyard all the hard parts.

they will all use a b body, c body or truck drum setup. junkyard all the hard parts.

I looked on the Internet on Advance Auto for the b body and they are all 11" drums. I've got drums for a 73 duster 10"x 2 1/2 coming and will try those tomorrow. The 10" drums in that era fit 74,75, etc...Dusters and Darts as well as the trucks. They have the same part number. The Yukon axles stick out 3/8 more than the stock axles so that might help with the 1 3/4 shoes I have or might not fit at all. I'm not getting my hopes up.

I really would dislike have to take everything back loose and convert to the "big" brakes. I will do anything to avoid that if I can truly help it. I might just have to get my drums machined to 2 3/4 center.

-
Back