Brake drums won't fit HELP! (pics)

-
I looked on the Internet on Advance Auto for the b body and they are all 11" drums. I've got drums for a 73 duster 10"x 2 1/2 coming and will try those tomorrow. The 10" drums in that era fit 74,75, etc...Dusters and Darts as well as the trucks. They have the same part number. The Yukon axles stick out 3/8 more than the stock axles so that might help with the 1 3/4 shoes I have or might not fit at all. I'm not getting my hopes up.

I really would dislike have to take everything back loose and convert to the "big" brakes. I will do anything to avoid that if I can truly help it. I might just have to get my drums machined to 2 3/4 center.

well my raybestos catalog shows that the drums on my car are from a 66 charger, and that is what they came off of when i did a rear disc conversion for a customer. sorry, but i don't trust advance auto.

well my raybestos catalog shows that the drums on my car are from a 66 charger, and that is what they came off of when i did a rear disc conversion for a customer. sorry, but i don't trust advance auto.

Alright then you give me the part number of the drums.

raybestos #2947 which is for 10x 2.5 drums 65-72 b bodies and happens to be the same part # for 73-76 a bodies with 10x2.5 drums. b bodies were available with 10" or 11" drums back then.

I think you`ll have to change the backing plates if you try to use the 2" or 2.5" drums. I would stick with getting the 1.75" drums machined wider. That should be the path of least resistance.

raybestos #2947 which is for 10x 2.5 drums 65-72 b bodies and happens to be the same part # for 73-76 a bodies with 10x2.5 drums. b bodies were available with 10" or 11" drums back then.

OK ran the part number at Advance and they have them for $44 each. Maybe I will try them if the ones I got coming does not fit.

I think you`ll have to change the backing plates if you try to use the 2" or 2.5" drums. I would stick with getting the 1.75" drums machined wider. That should be the path of least resistance.

I think you are right. The only thing that concerns me is if plan on using the drums I have that the Yukon axle sticks out 3/8 further than the stock. I don't know what that will cause. If I pay someone to turn them out bigger and then test fit them and find out they don't work for the reason of 3/8 I will be throwing that sucker as far as I can throw it!

yes you need to change the backing plates,brakes and drums... they are common and cheap enough ... anything with a 8 3/4 or 8 1/4 rear will work... the yards should be full of them.. even if you only get the backing plates from the yard and order new drums for whatever you got the plates from... its not as bad as it sounds..

I think you are right. The only thing that concerns me is if plan on using the drums I have that the Yukon axle sticks out 3/8 further than the stock. I don't know what that will cause. If I pay someone to turn them out bigger and then test fit them and find out they don't work for the reason of 3/8 I will be throwing that sucker as far as I can throw it!

I`ve been down the same road as you Mullinax and between brake drums/Yukon axles protruding out further/which led to wheel fitment issues, I ended up Ebaying the axles, drums, backing plates,etc. and had my axles redrilled. I`ll replace them if or when I break them. I used a mid 60`s B-body drum I think, but I had the matching backing plates. You may be able to find a 10 x 2 drum with the larger index hole, but may still have to have it machined if the added 3/8" (by the Yukon axle) doesn`t offset it enough. You can always see if your local auto store has a 10 x 2 and try it for fit. If it doesn`t fit, return it for a refund.

OK it was killing me to know if my drums that I already have would work. So I drilled them out and cut the center out so it would go over the axle's center. That worked but it will not cover the entire brake shoe surface as you can see in the picture.

I really believe now that I see what I am dealing with the 10 x 2 is going to be the best choice that I have. All the drum needs to be is a little bit wider. The 10 x 2 1/2 that I have ordered is proably going to be to big.

Cuda boot area 049.jpg

Cuda boot area 051.jpg

Well I got the drums today from Advance and they fit. :toothy7:

Painted them black, installed them and threw on the wheels and tires finally.

Thanks for all the help and support fellas.

Cuda boot area 063.jpg

If using the Yukon axles, they are considered large bolt pattern and you NEED to get the correct backing plates, drums and hardware for them to work properly. Just about any 1965 and newer (up to early 1980's I believe) as long as they are 10x2.5" or the large 11" they will work. Look for any car, truck, van with 10x2.5" and your good to go! Get all the backing plate hardware as well. Your 10x 1 3/4 stuff will only fit the small bolt pattern. I may have some parts kickin around if you need help. Good luck.

If using the Yukon axles, they are considered large bolt pattern and you NEED to get the correct backing plates, drums and hardware for them to work properly. Just about any 1965 and newer (up to early 1980's I believe) as long as they are 10x2.5" or the large 11" they will work. Look for any car, truck, van with 10x2.5" and your good to go! Get all the backing plate hardware as well. Your 10x 1 3/4 stuff will only fit the small bolt pattern. I may have some parts kickin around if you need help. Good luck.

I test the drove the car and the brakes seem to work fine. The emergency brake works better that it ever has. Why do I need to change anything?

Maybe I missed something above in your posts on what exactly your using? But from experience the small bolt pattern backing plates (if thats what you are still using) have a different offset then the large bolt pattern backing plates (needed for large bolt pattern drums). So when you go to mount the large bolt pattern drums (on the small bolt pattern backing plates) they do not have proper fitment. The small bolt pattern uses a 10x1.75" brake shoe and the large bolt pattern uses the 10x2.5" brake shoe. Thats always been my experience.

Well I got the drums today from Advance and they fit. :toothy7:

Painted them black, installed them and threw on the wheels and tires finally.

Thanks for all the help and support fellas.

Sounds like it all came together for you, congratulations! What drum did you end up using ,the 10 x 2 or 10 x 2.5? What application did you use to get the drums?

Sounds like it all came together for you, congratulations! What drum did you end up using ,the 10 x 2 or 10 x 2.5? What application did you use to get the drums?

Well I really can't remember.....I think it was a 75 Duster with 10 x 2.5. The part number was very common because it fit different cars and trucks. I measured the drums that was on the car and they are 10 x 2 with 1 3/4 shoes??? But the 2.5 drums was wide enough to cover all of the shoe. I just got back test driving again:toothy7:

You will have to swap your backing plates and drums over to the 2 1/2" stuff. Yukon axles have the 2.36" flange offset like the 4.5" bolt pattern cars. A 4" bolt pattern 8 3/4 has a different flange offset (it is about 2") so your brake stuff won't work.

Because of this different flange offset your rear will be a little wider so if you were close before with the outside of your tire against the fender it will be even closer or touch.

I keep forgetting to look at the last page before I respond. It never dawned on me that the narrower shoe should be able to fit in the wider drum.

Chuck

-
Back