Brake/Front End Question

-

pacuda59

pacuda59
Reaction score
Okay, I just got off the phone with PST and they didn't have an answer......

I'm converting my front brakes from sbp/drum to bbp/disc. I pulled the upper control arm and spindle off of a 75 Dart. PST offers the super front end kits designed for specific cars. In my case it's for a 69 Barracuda. Since the UCA and spindle are from a different year/model, which suspension parts will I need to order for a 75 Dart?

"Depends". If you have an early K and you want a sway bar, you'll want an early sway, as the later (73? and later) K sway bar goes through the K member. Even then, if your LCAs have no sway bar ears, you'll have to add them, or if they do, they are different for early/ late swaybars.

Steering linkage. Read this thread.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=236925

The early center link setup has the nuts for the idler and pinion on TOP of the center link. The steering box, pitman, idler, and link all have to match, regardless of what K member you have.

The late center link has the nuts for the idler and pitman pointing DOWN

I don't think tie rod ends matter early / late. Some guys use the larger B body tie rod ends which have larger threads, and of course then you need larger adjusting sleeves. I don't particularly see this as an issue.

You need late (73/ later) disk brake upper ball joints.

You need late ball joints to fit the late spindles.

I think all the bushings, LCA, upper A arm are the same

Consider getting "offset" upper arm bushings so you can get more caster.

I have one hell of a time navigating PST's website, I wish they'd "fix" it, see below:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that when I last ordered my last kit, I ordered what I needed for my model year car - except for the larger upper ball joint that is needed for the upper control arm that came off your donor car = the 75 dart.

To get Moog brand offset upper arm bushings and ball joints you'll need to piece mill the parts from various sources. Yes it will cost a little more than a kit from any vendor.
If I was building a car to sell I would use a kit just so I could state "complete X brand front end kit rebuild" in the ad.

Okay, I just got off the phone with PST and they didn't have an answer......

I'm converting my front brakes from sbp/drum to bbp/disc. I pulled the upper control arm and spindle off of a 75 Dart. PST offers the super front end kits designed for specific cars. In my case it's for a 69 Barracuda. Since the UCA and spindle are from a different year/model, which suspension parts will I need to order for a 75 Dart?

What I would do:
If the upper ball joints that came with the UCA's are in good shape, no need to replace them.
You need new lower ball joints for 73-76 disc brakes.
Keep the center link and tie rods you have on the car. Inspect the tie rods and replace as necessary.
Plan on replacing the LCA bushings with new. No question.
Replace the UCA bushings with new. They are all the same but really, you want to replace them. Use the Moog offset and install them to increase the caster.
Inspect the strut rod bushings on the car and replace as necessary. I use Moog rubber.
Urethane for all swap bar bushings.
Urethane for leaf spring bushings.

My opinion is I'm leery of the all-in-one kits. Yeah they are usable and work fine but typically of unknown quality until you get them. I use Moog only for cars I care about.

I agree with above except strut. Replace 'em. Replace ALL rubber bushings.

If I'm planning to keep the /6 and use the car for touring and not performance, is poly-graphite over kill? Should I stick with rubber?

-
Back