Brake Hardware from Venus/Mars?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
We have a '65 Valiant with what appears to be a junkyard '74 Dart 7 1/4" open differential that was transplanted by a previous owner. The springs retaining the rear brake shoes sure look strange to me, I have never seen anything like 'em.

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

I guess I'm used to seeing 10" brake drum hardware. Do the 9" kits available use the same factory pieces as shown in my photos? Or can I use the other (more common to me) spring style?

Last edited:
You should be able to find either type. Early is like what you show.....later on they went to the pin type. I'm not sure exactly when the changeover happened.....early '70's somewhere. Finding the correct hardware kit may be a problem depending on which ones you want to use. Others here have asked the same question recently and have a problem getting a kit with the correct parts. I would try to get a kit for a '74-5 Dart with 9" rear brakes. I prefer the pin type hardware myself.

Nothing unusual at all. Although if it scares you, you can replace them with the later style hold downs.

Use the later style Those early style are weak and can cause your brake shoes to wear unevenly and wear out faster. You may have to use a washer on the post due to the larger hole in the backing plate

Use the later style Those early style are weak and can cause your brake shoes to wear unevenly and wear out faster. You may have to use a washer on the post due to the larger hole in the backing plate
The design itself isn't weak at all. But the 50 plus year old parts are.

-
Back