brake help please

-

amzchad

Reaction score
i saw a thing on here to take the mustang bbp rotors and make them fit the four piston sbp setup cant find the thread

also

whats the best rear disc brake setup for the price?

i haven't really boned up on that swap but i guess i'm curious as why you really want discs on the rear. mostly i think people do that for looks bec i don't think they're nessessary. good 10 or 11" drums are plenty good for rears on an A body except in extreme driving, imho.
if you want folks to see discs front and rear then go for it but they're probably overkill.

Rear disks do little to further your actual stopping ability. A set of 10" drums, properly maintained, does just fine. On an A-body even the later 11" drums are overkill, not really worth the added weight. Keep in mind that on most cars the front/rear braking split is between 70/30 to 80/20, very little is gained even if you manage to significantly improve your stopping power. The reason new cars use them in the rear has more to do with production costs and the ability to incorporate anti lock braking features.

As far as racing goes, unless you're drag racing, I'd still skip the rear disks. All of the conversions I know about require the use of "green" bearings, which are sorely lacking when it comes to the side loads related to going around corners.

I have 96 for explorer rear disks brakes on my 8 3/4 rear end. The setup uses 9 in (2800 lb) F100 axle bearings.

And as others mentioned before the car doesn't stop any better than it did with the 10" drums.

i wanna build a car that goes through the turns great and stops even better im looking to build a road racing car

autoxcuda would be the guy to talk to. That having been said, I'm pretty sure he's said in the past that the 10" drums are fine in the back and that most of the autoX guys just run those. 11" drums are significantly heavier, and not necessary on the lighter a bodies.

My Challenger is set up in a similar manner (agressive road handling), I have 11.75" rotors on the front, I have a set of 11" drums for the back (heavier car already), and 1.12" torsion bars with tubular UCA's and LCA's. I'm not done yet, still need shocks and sway bars. But its getting there. The larger torsion bars and 11.75" rotors make a HUGE difference in the handling of these cars.

But if the guys that have rear disks say they didn't improve their stopping distance, why bother? There are only a couple of possible advantages. Disks tend to have more of their surface exposed to moving air, so they MIGHT cool faster. And the pads are easier to change with less maintenance to keep them adjusted properly, which is obviously a big deal. Weight-wise I'm not sure they're any lighter, since you have to consider both the rotor and the caliper. They might even be heavier if you're running OEM calipers. And I really prefer the adjustable style rear bearings, especially vs green bearings, which are lousy at supporting cornering loads. The type that uses a Ford 9" style bearing might be better, but it depends on WHICH ford 9" rear axle bearing is used, Ford changed this several times over the years, some are a good design, some are not.

If nothing else, $500 is a lot of money to spend for a part that effects only 20-30% of your braking force. You could spend much less than that on a set of 11 3/4" front rotors, caliper brackets and '73 up spindles (if you don't have them already) and see a marked improvement in stopping distance and power, since your improving a part that controls 70-80% of your braking.

autoxcuda would be the guy to talk to. That having been said, I'm pretty sure he's said in the past that the 10" drums are fine in the back and that most of the autoX guys just run those. 11" drums are significantly heavier, and not necessary on the lighter a bodies.

My Challenger is set up in a similar manner (agressive road handling), I have 11.75" rotors on the front, I have a set of 11" drums for the back (heavier car already), and 1.12" torsion bars with tubular UCA's and LCA's. I'm not done yet, still need shocks and sway bars. But its getting there. The larger torsion bars and 11.75" rotors make a HUGE difference in the handling of these cars.

But if the guys that have rear disks say they didn't improve their stopping distance, why bother? There are only a couple of possible advantages. Disks tend to have more of their surface exposed to moving air, so they MIGHT cool faster. And the pads are easier to change with less maintenance to keep them adjusted properly, which is obviously a big deal. Weight-wise I'm not sure they're any lighter, since you have to consider both the rotor and the caliper. They might even be heavier if you're running OEM calipers. And I really prefer the adjustable style rear bearings, especially vs green bearings, which are lousy at supporting cornering loads. The type that uses a Ford 9" style bearing might be better, but it depends on WHICH ford 9" rear axle bearing is used, Ford changed this several times over the years, some are a good design, some are not.

If nothing else, $500 is a lot of money to spend for a part that effects only 20-30% of your braking force. You could spend much less than that on a set of 11 3/4" front rotors, caliper brackets and '73 up spindles (if you don't have them already) and see a marked improvement in stopping distance and power, since your improving a part that controls 70-80% of your braking.

yay someone answered my question thank you im gonna do alittle more research

-
Back