brake light on dash

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bills70

Reaction score
my brake light on my dash is on! does any one know what sensor or sensors would cause this? my car came with out power brake! Front disc were installed before I got the car and I have installed Rear disc along with Power Brake Master Cylinder, PV and Booster! I already depressed the switch on the emergency brakes and the light stayed on!

Two things,
Parking Brake
Safety Switch on the distribution block

Alan

Check to see that the parking brake is fully released, the switch will be pressed when the brake is released.
Make sure the connector is plugged into the safety switch.
The safety switch measures a differential in pressure between the front and the rear brakes.

Alan

Unplug the parking brake switch, light should go out.

Do the same, unplug the safety switch and ground the connector, light should go out, if not you may have a short somewhere.

Alan

Last edited:
Unplug the parking brake switch and ground the terminal (wire side), light should go out, if not the problem is in the safety switch.
Do the same, unplug the safety switch and ground the connector, light should go out, if not you may have a short somewhere.

Alan
this is my park brake switch correct? but, I am not sure where is safety switch is?

DSC00250.JPG

Two things,
Parking Brake
Safety Switch on the distribution block

Alan
is the distribution block where the brake lines go to from master cyl. then go to front and back brakes, located below M.C and mounted to frame? if so I do not believe that I remember seeing a electric wire going to it, when I did the brake lines!

Middle bottom of the picture I posted is the switch.
Not sure if not being connected would cause a problem.

Alan

my brake light on my dash is on! does any one know what sensor or sensors would cause this? my car came with out power brake! Front disc were installed before I got the car and I have installed Rear disc along with Power Brake Master Cylinder, PV and Booster! I already depressed the switch on the emergency brakes and the light stayed on!

Sometimes the distribution block switch sticks and a good hard stomp on the brake pedal can recenter it.
They can also do this when one side of the master gets low on fluid, and then not recenter after filling.
Otherwise if your brakes seem fine you can disconnect the wire to the distribution block or E brake switch and make the light go off.
It could also just need the Ebrake switch adjusted if disconnecting that wire makes the light go off.

The Safety Switch is here...
View attachment 1715199814

Alan
Middle bottom of the picture I posted is the switch.
Not sure if not being connected would cause a problem.

Alan
if there is suppose to be a wire on the safety switch, where does it come from or should I say go to? I am not seeing any loose wires any where in engine compartment or under dash! would that wire have been part of the new engine harness I bought? if so may be I connected a wire up wrong

Sometimes the distribution block switch sticks and a good hard stomp on the brake pedal can recenter it.
They can also do this when one side of the master gets low on fluid, and then not recenter after filling.
Otherwise if your brakes seem fine you can disconnect the wire to the distribution block or E brake switch and make the light go off.
It could also just need the Ebrake switch adjusted if disconnecting that wire makes the light go off.
I do not have a electric wire on my distribution block! where does the wire for it come from (engine harness)? maybe I have a wire hooked up wrong to starter relay!

The breakout for the Safety Switch is under the washer bottle, at least in 67 it was.
In 67 it was a violet with white stripe on it, with a connector like the fuel sender has.

Alan

The breakout for the Safety Switch is under the washer bottle, at least in 67 it was.
In 67 it was a violet with white stripe on it, with a connector like the fuel sender has.

Alan
Got er done ! I had the wire hooked to starter relay (for some reason) unknown! thanks for the help! Bill

I got er done! I had the wire hooked up to starter relay for some (unknown reason) thanks for the help, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back