Brake Lights Not Working

-

McDirty96

Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm new here and don't really know a whole lot about these vehicles so i'm looking for some helping minds! So, on my 1970 Plymouth Valiant with the 318, my brake lights don't work. turn signals and all other lights work just not when i push the brake. I checked the bulbs, they were okay. When i checked the fuse, it was blown. as i went to insert the new fuse, the fuse instantly blew and the vehicle wasn't on. the only way i could make that connection not hot was to unhook the battery. i need some guidance on where to even begin and all help is appreciated!

Have you checked the brake light switch & wires?

The turn signal switch inside the column can also fail, the brake light power interacts with the hazards lights.

Pull the brake light sockets out of the car and try again. If the fuse doesn’t blow, then you have a shorted socket.

This will only work if you have two wire tail light sockets where the ground is made when the socket touches the ground on the tail light.

If the fuse doesn’t blow, put them back in one at a time until it blows again and you can find the problem one.

Helpful to have a box of fuses....

The turn signal switch inside the column can also fail, the brake light power interacts with the hazards lights.

brake light switch is good.havent checked turn signal yet

Pull the brake light sockets out of the car and try again. If the fuse doesn’t blow, then you have a shorted socket.

This will only work if you have two wire tail light sockets where the ground is made when the socket touches the ground on the tail light.

If the fuse doesn’t blow, put them back in one at a time until it blows again and you can find the problem one.

Helpful to have a box of fuses....
i just tried that, fuse still blows

There is a connector under the left front kick panel. The tail lights go through there. Unplug it and try again. That should isolate the fault to the front or back of the car.

Before you do anything, get some PB blaster or wd forty and spray the brake light switch. Sometimes they get rusty don't make contact

There is a connector under the left front kick panel. The tail lights go through there. Unplug it and try again. That should isolate the fault to the front or back of the car.
if it wasnt for you letting me know that was there, i wouldnt have found it so thank you so much! i disconnected that connector and it didnt blow a fuse. i then chased the wires all the way to the back of the car and found two connectors in the trunk that when unplugged, along with plugging that connector up front back in, didnt blow a fuse. there was a thick black cable that runs inside the body and i realized it goes to the dome light. when i plugged it back in and moved that dome light wire around, i could hear it arcing off the body. so i found it!shes all back together and happy again so thank you guys so much for all your suggestions!

Great! Chasing electrical gremlins can be very frustrating, but it sure feels great when you finally figure it out!

Great! Chasing electrical gremlins can be very frustrating, but it sure feels great when you finally figure it out!
yes! Especially for my first time doing anything like this. This is the first car i've owned thats older than 5 years lol

-
Back