Brake lights/turn signals/clearance lights

-

LinconSr

Reaction score
Here'e the problem Gentlemen with my 1968 Dart Sedan;

Lights off - press brake pedal, (R) clearance light comes on, (R) turn signals work

Lights on - press brake pedal, (R) clearance light comes on, (R) turn signal stops flashing

New bulbs, new brake switch, new turn signal switch, new headlight switch any advice?

"R clearance light" is a side marker ? front or rear ? I'll guess only the right rear side marker is coming on.
I think your going to find the problem to be lack of chassis ground at the right rear park/brake fixture. Signal and brake would use the park lamp circuit for ground until the park lamps are turned on.

(R) clearance light = front turn signal light on grille- that is the one that always comes on when the brakes are applied.

Very first thing to do is determine for absolute certain that the 4X hazard switch is OFF, or it may have a problem, so unplug the switch.

Otherwise, if there is no wiring problem, you have a bad column switch.

Has someone or you rewired the car?

I will disconnect the hazard switch and try it.

The turn signals and brake lights did not work when I bought the car, I installed a new column harness, this corrected the turn signals and brake lights.

Then recently the problem arose with the (R) front turn signal light coming on when the brakes were applied.

Front turn circuit coming on with brake lights is typically a fault in the turn signal switch. I read the part about a new one installed but that doesn't mean a lot.

X2. Normally, with the hazard switch off or disconnected, there is no connection of any kind between the brake light circuit and the front signals, which also branch off to provide power for the indicator lamps.

The hazard switch and the column TS switch is the only place "they are close."

Here's how the older hazard switches work. They are 4 terminals, all open when off, and all tied together when on

The 4x flasher output goes to one terminal

One terminal goes to the brake light switch output

The other two each go to the front signal lines.

So when the 4x switch is "on" all those are tied together.

Only thing in the column switch is a cross between wiring conductors, such as two bare or melted wires, or carnage in the column switch, which is not unheard of.

I would try not to "bump" too much stuff, and disconnect the TS switch at the column connector. Then after ID'ing the wires with a diagram, 'ohm' out the terminals. With the switch centered, neither left nor right front output wire should be continuous to anything

The left and right rear wires are connected together, and to the brake light switch input when centered.

-
Back