Brake Line and Subframe connectors

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
I installed the US Car Tool subframe connectors, some time ago, but mistakenly removed the factory brake line because it was being replaced.

Trouble is, the subframe connectors are welded in and the prebent factory brake line from inline tube (which is excellent btw) can't go into it's original location due to the subframe connectors being in the way. I should have know, but spaced it.

My plan is to cut the prebent line flare it on both ends and install this in between. I'll drill a small hole through the subframe connectors with a grommet for the braided line to go through.

Hopefully this post will prevent the next guy from having to do extra work. I'll post up pics of the final product.

-3 AN is 3/16 brake line, right?

If you absolutely have to cut it to be able to run it through the frame connector, use a solid bulkhead fitting flared on either end, not a flex hose. Flexible hose should be kept to a minimum to preserve equal pressure throughout the line.
The brake line generally has to cross under the frame somewhere, the OE line goes under the rear frame kickup.

Some might argue that cutting the front to rear lines is common when you splice in a proportioning valve but the valve is rigid and usually mounted solidly to the frame. Flex hose is not a good idea except for where it has to be used like between the caliper and frame or at the rear.

If you absolutely have to cut it to be able to run it through the frame connector, use a solid bulkhead fitting flared on either end, not a flex hose. Flexible hose should be kept to a minimum to preserve equal pressure throughout the line.
The brake line generally has to cross under the frame somewhere, the OE line goes under the rear frame kickup.

Some might argue that cutting the front to rear lines is common when you splice in a proportioning valve but the valve is rigid and usually mounted solidly to the frame. Flex hose is not a good idea except for where it has to be used like between the caliper and frame or at the rear.

Hmm. Never gave a thought to the material. I know where it goes in the factory location as I have a 69 barracuda for reference. The line has to be cut, no way around it. Can you send me an example of the bulk head fitting?

I installed the US Car Tool subframe connectors, some time ago, but mistakenly removed the factory brake line because it was being replaced.

Trouble is, the subframe connectors are welded in and the prebent factory brake line from inline tube (which is excellent btw) can't go into it's original location due to the subframe connectors being in the way. I should have know, but spaced it.

My plan is to cut the prebent line flare it on both ends and install this in between. I'll drill a small hole through the subframe connectors with a grommet for the braided line to go through.

Hopefully this post will prevent the next guy from having to do extra work. I'll post up pics of the final product.

There is a "through the frame" solid fitting hot rudders use. Seems to work well.

Yes, -3 an is 3/16

AN are sized by 1/16"
-3 = 3/16
-4 = 1/4
-6 = 3/8
-8 = 1/2
-12 = 3/4
-16 = 1"

I can't find the thread here with the modification to the connectors. Drill a hole and fish mouth it with a big punch. It works with brake lines and e brake cables.

Go around it.
stock line reshaped...no biggie.
100_1164.jpg

lots below it on the horizontal plane.
I'm not at all concerned about it.

AE83E275-0A68-4189-A295-86498BCCAD8A.jpeg
I haven’t finished mine yet, but my current plan is To add a bulkhead fitting through the factory frame rail just behind torque box. I drilled holes through the crossmember right next to the rocker panel, and then I cut down (up) to those holes, took out the piece, Laid the tubing in, then put the piece back and welded it in. I drilled a 5/8 hole on the outside of the original frame rail large enough to pass the tubing through, now I intend to put a bulkhead fitting on the internal side of the frame rail.
My big question is: should I put a shepherds hook bend in the tubing and use a straight bulkhead fitting, or just use a 90° fitting.

Can you strategically cut the metal brake line to snake it through, and reconnect it with a brass union, double flairing the line, and using 2 fittings?

Can you strategically cut the metal brake line to snake it through, and reconnect it with a brass union, double flairing the line, and using 2 fittings?

I've thought about that also. The more I look at it, I bet I can. I'm gonna get everything plumbed and connected with the the line under the connector and then take a look.

How about a roll of nickel copper line and make it from scratch?Run it on inside of frame connector close to floor pan.Pretty much a straight shot front to back.

How about a roll of nickel copper line and make it from scratch?Run it on inside of frame connector close to floor pan.Pretty much a straight shot front to back.

Well I already have the prebent line. So I was trying not to scrap it and start over.

I have the same exact issue. I found this kit by SSBC which looks like it will solve the problem. They have two different lengths for the frame fitting. I have not measured the frame connectors to figure out which size to use yet. Stainless Steel Thru Frame Kit with nylon washers, Made in USA - 3 inches long - 2 pieces - A0767A

That'd work, looks like a nice part though a little pricey. There are cheaper versions out there. I bought one a few years ago for a fuel line off Ebay that was about $40.

If you can weld, this would be a decent option, you'd just need to source some fittings. Heidts Brake Line Thru-Frame Fitting Kits LF-018-4

You might be over-thinking this though. Your main problem is trying to use pre-bent line with frame connectors - ain't gonna work. Getting 10 feet of 3/16" tubing and bending it the way you want would be the easiest and cheapest.

Parts store brake line is inexpensive. It generally comes flared with fittings already installed and often comes coated to prevent it from rusting. You could even copy the pre-bent line to the point where it meets the frame then route it as needed. No cutting, flex lines or aggravation.

You could always sell the unused line on here to try and re-coup some cost.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's help with this. I think I'm gonna see if I can cut it and put in a union. The bulk heads look nice, but at those prices, I might as well just fab my own lines from scratch.

If you end up fabbing your own. Snag the Eastwood flaring tool. It’s come in handy for me. Pricey but makes a beautiful flare with stainless.

-
Back