Brake line flaring tool that actually double flares steel line?

-

Woodys_Cuda

Ontario, Canada
Reaction score
A friend is in the process of repairing sections of brake line. His flaring tool works great with the copper tubing but is useless when trying to flare the OEM steel sections. So i'm looking for recommendations on a tool that will double flare steel lines. Thanks!

There are a few out there this is the style I use. If those line are all copper will not work the copper coated are great though.

1689601863405.png

A friend is in the process of repairing sections of brake line. His flaring tool works great with the copper tubing but is useless when trying to flare the OEM steel sections. So i'm looking for recommendations on a tool that will double flare steel lines. Thanks!
Almost all tradtional flaring tools are single flare unless you also have and use the little double flare adapters. If what he has is a quality tool, you can buy the double flare adapters separately from name brand people like Imperial-Eastman and I don't know, anymore, who all else

Make certain that you get 45 degree and not 37 degree, which are JIC/ AN

Here's one at Canadian Tire.

Click the link below

I have a similar unit . Works great!

General PDP Template

1689624545706.png

Yes it was copper coated he was working with. His kit looks similar to yours but won't do the steel line in a double flare.
Prob has to clamp it tighter and use oil also. Mine no issues at all, it is a older snap on set if that makes a difference.

I always have trouble with old used line. I have better luck not trying to "patch" brake line.
I have used the snap on/Imperial Eastman/Mac tools etc one for years and bought a master cool brand hydraulic flarer about 4years ago.
The only thing is that hydraulic one ain't the best when trying to do one in place as it takes up alot of space if you're in tight quarters

I know of several garages that use the eastwood type, I believe that MATCO carries a similar modle. You're spoiled for life if you use one, and you'll never want to use anything else afterwards.

Uhoh..

I found the kit he has on Amazon and Ebay. The tubing he has looks like copper over mild steel, not nickel. It will rust quickly.

Last edited:
I know of several garages that use the eastwood type, I believe that MATCO carries a similar modle. You're spoiled for life if you use one, and you'll never want to use anything else afterwards.
Absolutely. I've used those cheaper style flaring tools and the tube always seems to move within the clamps, the flares often are crooked too. The only drawback to this bench vise mounted unit is that it does not work in a portable fashion like trying to flare a line still on a car. Eastwood does offer one that allows for that but I've just been so happy with this unit, I have yet to need anything else. It was not cheap but it has been great. You often forget about the extra cost when a tool or part simply works and never fails.

I have used a Mac flaring tool. Works great on steel line. Cannot see it being a problem with coated line. You have to make a few practice flares to get a good double flare, but once you have it down its an awesome tool.

The cheapest flaring tool HF sells will make perfect double flares for a long time as long as you lubricate all of the crush points every use. Most of the time, failure to make good flares isn't the tool.

Also, when you make the second flare, don't tighten down on it completely. It'll form the last part of the flare as you tighten the flare nut. Almost leak-proof.

I have never made a bad flare with this tool, they have all came out perfect. I don't think it works with stainless though. They appear out of stock, but Amazon has many of the same style.

I also use this to clean up and square the ends before I flare them.

I found an older National brand at a flea market and it works great, albeit a lot of pressure is required.

The issue is the Manufacturing tolerance on the clamp.

Newer cheap ones don't hold the tube and the force required to "double" the flair pushes it out the bottom and/or deforms the flare.

I use the double flare button as a guide to know how much tube to leave above the clamp.
Just a little (maybe 1/32") more than the height of the button outside diameter.

Post #9 by KernDog....these work awesome. You can find it cheaper than eastwood, lots of them for sale with various different branding but its the same exact kit. The only downfall is that its near impossible to use on the vehicle. The best ones are the little hand pump hydraulic with dies.
Clicky Link

-
Back