brake lines? master cyl? or both?

-

Sussmad

Reaction score
I have a 72 Dart with drum brakes. Had to stomp on them hard yesterday stopping the car and then pedal went to the floor. It felt like a line burst. Also, I've been adding fluid to my master cylinder's front reservoir for a couple months every other week or so. This morning the reservoir would not hold any fluid. I'm thinking of getting a set of lines from Inlinetubes. How do I tell if the Master is spent as well. Thanks

Look up in the dash where the master cylinder comes through the firewall and you will probably see the rubber boot wet with brake fluid. Then pull up the carpet under the driver's floor and you may find it soaked with all of that brake fluid you have been adding. (If so, you need to remove the carpet and backing and get the fluid out; it will absorb water and rust out your floorboards.)

Also, look at the firewall on the outside and see if there is brake fluid running down it from the MC.

If all is dry, then look under the car to find where a line is open.

But I bet your MC is leaking. They don't cost all that much, and if old at all, then I'd replace just on principle. Get a new one; sounds like today's rebuilds are hit and miss.

You won't go wrong with Inline Tube products, IMO.

I've been adding fluid to my master cylinder's front reservoir for a couple months every other week or so. This morning the reservoir would not hold any fluid. I'm thinking of getting a set of lines from Inlinetubes.

If you've been loosing fluid from the "front reservoir",. meaning the one closest the front of the car,, then you've got a leak in the rear wheel system.. Often a steel brake line will rust up in the chasis,, you should be able to detect a wet spot on the frame,, or you may have blown out a rear wheel cyl ..

If you're loosing fluid in the "front brake reservoir" (rear most reservoir),, the front brake system has problem,, and may be as previous post,, check for wet spots..

hope it helps

If you've been loosing fluid from the "front reservoir",. meaning the one closest the front of the car,, then you've got a leak in the rear wheel system.. Often a steel brake line will rust up in the chasis,, you should be able to detect a wet spot on the frame,, or you may have blown out a rear wheel cyl .. If you're loosing fluid in the "front brake reservoir" (rear most reservoir),, the front brake system has problem,, and may be as previous post,, check for wet spots.. hope it helps

My rear brakes leaked due to a blocked line (rust) not allowing pressure to seal the wheel cylinder... new steel rear lines were cheap fix from fine lines!

have you checked your rear wheel cylinders? they will build up crude --causing leaks-- whenever your are adding fluid on a regular basis -- you need to stop & fix the problem-- like a transmission-- the brake fluid should remain fairly constant--- your car is unsafe to drive until your brakes have been fixed.
Take off the rear drums & inspect-- any wetness needs repaired, check the fronts-- then inspect the lines.
Best to start at the rear drum farthest from the m/c - then work your way forward to the m/c checking each brake assembly & line set-- including rubber connections.

,Lawrence

-
Back