Brake Noob

-
The SSBC kit is nice because you have both bolt pattern options and can keep the same front spindles. I have the kit on my 66 vert.

You could sell the bbp disc setup you have to recoup costs.

I got my rear sbp drums from amazon pretty cheap. Centric

The SSBC kit is nice because you have both bolt pattern options and can keep the same front spindles. I have the kit on my 66 vert.

You could sell the bbp disc setup you have to recoup costs.

I got my rear sbp drums from amazon pretty cheap. Centric

Yea I saw that you said that on a previous thread. Did you purchase a booster, lines, and MC as well? It seems as none of those come in their kits.

Yea I saw that you said that on a previous thread. Did you purchase a booster, lines, and MC as well? It seems as none of those come in their kits.
Mine came as a kit with manual Mc, brake hoses and proportioning valve. Hard lines are on you.

Update time!

So I decided against disc brakes for now. I don't want to rush getting parts that I may not be happy with, especially wheels. I purchased everything except new drums to rebuild my brakes, I'm picking it all up now and will start today. I'm going to try and install the new top this weekend as well.

I'm going to stick with my original plan, and what was advised in here by the many gentlemen and scholars much smarter than I am. Rebuild the discs, and take my time rebuilding my 8 3/4 rear end, and rebuilding the extra front end. Especially making sure I get the correct wheels, I know wheels are not the most important, but slow and steady is best. Plus it keeps the wife happy not buying it all at once, she gets upset me spending large amounts while we aren't working haha .

I know it's not a Dart, but this is the setup I want for the dart. It looks beautiful ❤️

Screenshot_20190719-142254_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190719-141503_Samsung Internet.jpg

Very classic look. Like it.

The following is dad advice..... Proceed with caution....

I spent the first 1/2 of my life racking up debt having fun, buying stuff that in the grand scheme of life added nothing to my happieness. I have spent the last 1/4 of it rectifying that mistake. Except for house payment (which should have been paid off 20 years ago) I am debt free and it is the best feeling in the world.

Try to live within your means, and be happy with what you have vs what you want.

Very classic look. Like it.

The following is dad advice..... Proceed with caution....

I spent the first 1/2 of my life racking up debt having fun, buying stuff that in the grand scheme of life added nothing to my happieness. I have spent the last 1/4 of it rectifying that mistake. Except for house payment (which should have been paid off 20 years ago) I am debt free and it is the best feeling in the world.

Try to live within your means, and be happy with what you have vs what you want.

Greatest advice! Not only for me but for everyone!

Yea we actually just sold our investment house. Made a decent amount of money, paid off all our debt, paid rent on our new house upfront for a year and only have utilities until we have to pay rent again next year. In the meantime we will also have some money coming in to replenish the savings.

My son used to work on cars with me all the time before dental school. The past 2 years I have been gone most of every day 7 days a week with a crazy school schedule. Now that school is more relaxed I got the car for the kids and I to spend time together, getting them off the damn computers, away from thet tv and them them learning .

20190719_170117.jpg

20190714_195906.jpg

Fronts are done, stops much better, still different getting used to manual brakes. As t least now you push the petal and brakes are applied right after pushing the pedal.

20190719_185234.jpg

Nice job.
thumbs_up-gif.gif

Turn the self adjuster overload springs the other way.
I don't know why, but that was repeatedly mentioned in the service bulletins.
Drum Brake Service Highlights (Session 260) from the Master Technician's Service Conference

The 1970 Hamtramck Registry "1969 DODGE MODEL TSBs Index" Page

Note the lining thickness for future reference.
Also the two letter friction code on the lining edge or on the backing plate.
When you go to replace, these give a ballpark idea that the replacement lining will have similar friction to what you have now.
If yours are FF, and the parts store only has EE or ED, you can be pretty sure you'll need more force on the pedal to stop the car. Its not a very precise comparison and certainly doesn't cover all the braking characteristics of a lining, but its something to be aware of.

Nice job. View attachment 1715367261

Turn the self adjuster overload springs the other way.
I don't know why, but that was repeatedly mentioned in the service bulletins.
Drum Brake Service Highlights (Session 260) from the Master Technician's Service Conference

The 1970 Hamtramck Registry "1969 DODGE MODEL TSBs Index" Page

Note the lining thickness for future reference.
Also the two letter friction code on the lining edge or on the backing plate.
When you go to replace, these give a ballpark idea that the replacement lining will have similar friction to what you have now.
If yours are FF, and the parts store only has EE or ED, you can be pretty sure you'll need more force on the pedal to stop the car. Its not a very precise comparison and certainly doesn't cover all the braking characteristics of a lining, but its something to be aware of.

I adjusted them.

It's not tons of pressure to stop, just different going from 2017 and 2018 cars and their brakes to a 69

I adjusted them.
I'm sure you did. My comment is about the hooks of the adjuster's overload spring facing out.
It's not tons of pressure to stop, just different going from 2017 and 2018 cars and their brakes to a 69
Yes it will feel different. Modulation is different too because of the self-energizing nature of these drum brakes. The driver is the ABS and drums are easy to lock up so the more you can get a feel for modulating them, the better.
Change the linings of either or both shoes and the feel and grip can change.
My suggestions about things to note were only so you can help yourself be a little more knowledgable about you have. That way if you change linings you have something factual to compare. The only other information you're going to typically get is whether its an organic, semi-metalic, or ceramic compound.

I'm sure you did. My comment is about the hooks of the adjuster's overload spring facing out.

Yes it will feel different. Modulation is different too because of the self-energizing nature of these drum brakes. The driver is the ABS and drums are easy to lock up so the more you can get a feel for modulating them, the better.
My suggestions about things to note were only so you can help yourself be a little more knowledgable about you have. That way if you change linings you have something factual to compare. The only other information you're going to typically get is whether its an organic, semi-metalic, or ceramic compound.

Ah

Ah informative information to help learn the young dumb one. I do thank you for that. I have saved all of the information from these brakes to help reference in the future. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I will not be doing drums on this car again, but just in case.

I will start driving it a bit more and hopefully get the feel for them a little better. I am going to try and have it insured and registered by next Saturday.

-
Back