Brake parts needed

-

DemonDave

Swollen Member
Reaction score
I'm just about ready to install my 8 3/4" a-body axle (with stock 10" drums) into my Demon but am still missing a few brake parts. Specifically, I need the spreader bar that goes between the shoes for both sides as well as the star wheel adjusters. I bought a new hardware kit and drums/shoes and will be reusing the parking brake bits off of my current 7 1/4" set-up so once I source the above listed parts, I should be good to go!

Anyone have any spare brake parts laying around they'd be willing to part with?

Have you tried sourcing them from Parts source, or even Canadian tire? Even Napa sells some of these parts as they were very common for many years. And the prices are usually reasonable.

Aside from reusing the brake levers, I would suggest going with new parts for everything else.
I just installed new components on my 8 1/4 rear end (10x2.5") and for new shoes, wheel kits, axle kit and cylinders I was only $110 poorer (it includes all the parts you need plus more). It saved having to deal with cleaning asbestos covered parts on my old rear end to sawp over to the new one.

Here in BC we have a car parts store chain called Lordco but you would be able to source the same thing thru Napa or CT in Ontario. It will probably be worth your time pricing out new components rather then dealing with the old stuff.

You know, I just assumed that the spreader bar piece was a NLS Mopar piece... I never even thought to ask at NAPA when I bought the rest of the stuff. Same with the star wheel adjuster. I'll have to go back and see if they list it.

PS: Lordco is great! I lived in Vancouver for 7 months and Victoria for 4 1/2 years and shopped there regularly. The Lordco on SW Marine Drive near YVR gives a discount to airport workers... I used that one a lot. ;)

this is to me my last day at work at NAPA before I return to NWA, but the last 6 months or so of working here has really opened my mind as far as what is really still available for our cars...

being able to play with the computer system had really helped in that to, the lesson I learned, ask, they might not have it, but they just might, and if they dont got it, any good parts man will find it.

well thats all a dependadnt thing ya know. some customers don't get as much effort behind the searches as others.

i have gone to other business and handed cash over to get customers what they want.

how good a relationship you got with your counter people?

You can use the brake parts off of your 7 1/4 as long as they are the same size brakes. A buddy and myself did the same job on a 76 volare and found that we could transfer all the parts right down to the backing plates from the 7 1/4 to the 8 3/4.

well thats all a dependadnt thing ya know. some customers don't get as much effort behind the searches as others.

i have gone to other business and handed cash over to get customers what they want.

how good a relationship you got with your counter people?

My friendly neighborhood NAPA counterperson is also a friend of mine for about 15 years. He's Mopar all the way owning a beautifully restored 440+6 1970 Roadrunner. I just never thought to ask him! Duh... ;)

Anyway, I'm all set now. I wanted to go all new with the parts instead of trying to retrofit the old 7 1/4" stuff anyway... my car may only have 18,000 miles on it but the brakes are still 35 years old! :D

-
Back