Brake "safety" switch Question

-

TurboType1

Reaction score
I've got a 70 Dart Swinger in my shop that i just finished completing the brake system on...New Master, lines, calipers, prop block.....
Got the brakes bled today and the "brake" light in the dash won't go off :banghead: The brakes work awesome with a hard pedal....no pump up, just hard at the first stomp.
I disconnected the wire on the safety switch and the light goes out.
My question is : is there a way to reset the switch or is it defective or ????
Thanks...Pete

If it has not been replaced, IE "getting old" it's probably all gummed up inside. All in the world that they are, is a piston that shuttles from one end to the other with a dip in the middle to allow the switch to shut off.

There used to be a tool, essentially a "dummy" switch which you could screw in to keep the piston centered. About all you can do is play with front/ rear pressure to center it.

Since it's likely gummed up, might be a good idea to replace it, or attempt to overhaul the one you have. If the O rings inside deteriorate, I would guess that the thing could interconnect the front / rear system, not a good thing.

It also seems likely that if one or both o rings leak past the piston, that the switch may not hold back the pressure and leak

The other possibility is to replace it with a pair of tees and do without.

10fcbyh.jpg

Here is a couple things to try before replacing:

1. Bleed tee with the safety switch at all connections. This should let the piston center itself.

2. Check the switch for the emergency brake, may be making contact.

If these don't work then replace/repair the block.

Thanks for replies... The block is brand new....Although that doesn't mean that it's any good. If I unplug the wire going to it, the light goes out, proving it's the switch not the E-brake.
I'll try cracking open a bleeder at a time ( either a front or a rear) and see if I can get that piston to center itself.
Thanks again...Pete

You might also try unscrewing the switch from the block, and see if you can use a small screwdriver, etc, to nudge it back centered

Once the brakes were bled I always got lucky by STOMPING the pedal hard and the thing centered back up, but that one may be too corroded or just plain stuck.

:burnout:I have the same problem, again everything new. Stomping the brakes doesnt solve the problem. I have new master cylinder, new booster, new lines (all), and new rear wheel cylinders.
I cant get the light to go out and I have bought two new distribution assemblies and have the same issue with both. Before putting the second new one in I ran an old used one for a while and the light went out, but the used unit was a leaker so I got a second new unit from classic industries, light is on and wont go out.

Pull the wire off the switch and make sure it IS the switch, and not a wiring fault, or your parking brake.

I believe the light is on for a reason because the brakes dont work worth a darn. I can get the front to lock (barely) on my dirt driveway, but I cant get the rears to lock at all. Again everything in this system is brand new (including this second new unit from classic industries P/N MD2268. When I ran a junk yard unit between the first and second new valves from C.I. it worked great, but the junk yard valve was a leaker.
Is there some special procedure I missed during install?

Never did fix this issue. I guess the switch is good and stuck. Just unplugged the wire....for now.

It sounds like you might actually have a brake problem though

-
Back