Brake self-adjuster question?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Do factory Mopars use the washer in the photo? Thank you.

drum-brake-adjuster-screw-300x300.jpg

Do factory Mopars use the washer in the photo? Thank you.

View attachment 1715710489

I am sure they do as all my dozens of OEM pieces over several decades had the washer - likely to reduce friction. I use something like Copaslip / Nev'r Seize on threads and all contact points - particularly where metal parts of shoes rub against backing plate.

Important to lube contact points where the shoes contact the backing plates. There are 6 points of contact. I use never seize. I put that sh&&@t on everything.

And over the years most of them were lost.Yes the adjuster still works without but it is best to have them in place like Ma Mopar did from the factory.

Dibbons, you need to head over to mymopar.com and get a copy of your years factory service manual. If you have brakes from another car get that one too.

Important to lube contact points where the shoes contact the backing plates. There are 6 points of contact. I use never seize. I put that sh&&@t on everything.
Including your hands, pants and your face if you push your glasses up. LOL

If you have a can of it, drill a small hole in the lid and use a small artist paint brush to apply.Allot less mess. My can is about 50 years old and came from my Father.That stuff lasts forever.

The adjuster usually works for a time without the thrust washer. Once the linings are worn, adjuster is screwed out farther, spring tension is tighter, adjuster stops working. Adjust paw wears a few teeth off the adjust cog wheel. Lack of washer costs you more money eventually. Inside that end cap and a wear pads on backing plate are places to add lubricant.

-
Back