1: 79 Aspen - upper arms, and complete setup
2: 74 duster - same
3: Wilwood - Their kit that uses my original spindles and arms

It appears that 1 and 2 moves the wheels to a wider track
and 3 will maintain the original width
Any benefit to changing widths?

Wheel/fender clearance, anything you could think of that would
make one better than the others?

The car will be used for fun and possible autocross occasionally.

I prefer the 74 Duster set up of all those. When something wears out, parts are still easily obtained. That's what I'm using on mine.

Choice may also depend on if you need a full suspension rebuild. If not, the kits that use your existing spindle become more attractive. Add to that Scarebird, which is the cheapest and uses easy to source GM & Toyota parts.

If you have a 1972 or earlier car, you need a sleeve adapter to slip over your upper ball joint stud to fit the Aspen or Duster spindle holes, or change to a 1974+ Upper Control Arm. For bling, and better adjustments, you can buy a tubular UCA.

Also consider wheels. All require 14" wheels and not all work with all 14" wheels. Some kits allow keeping the early 5 x 4"D circle SBP wheels if that is what you have (didn't mention your car). Moving the wheel mounting surface outward can be compensated by wheels with a different back-spacing.

What model and year vehicle is involved? If it is a 1972 or older using either of the first two would involve going to a different bolt pattern wheel.

I would choose the setup that has the cheapest replacement parts.

There is another thread on here where someone used the '74 duster set up and had a nightmare aligning the car..my Wilwood set up went right on and alined no problem,yes it cost more but well worth my money,its lighter and way better looking then stock mopar stuff..

Thanks guys.
Its a 70 Swinger with total rubber bushing rebuild.
It has drums right now, 1" torsion bars and swaybar.
I already own all three sets.
How much does the tracking change and is it a good
or bad thing?
I'm not sure what I'm going to do, the rears are 4" pattern.
I wanted to keep the rally wheels but this is another hiccup
that plaques me.
The rear is a 8 3/4 with 4", was thinking of having them redrill
to 4 1/2".

Thanks guys.
or bad thing?
that plaques me.
to 4 1/2".

Wilwood comes with the option of setting up the hubs for small or large bolt pattern,i run smallbolt on my car but if i ever go large bolt i just need to move the studs around,same with the rear axles Moser set them up to use either pattern too.

Thanks guys.
or bad thing?
that plaques me.
to 4 1/2".

Drilling is a not the best idea; The center registers are different, and there is barely enough meat to install bigger studs. The 4.5 bc wheel will not center on the smaller axle hub. If you depend on the wheelnuts to center it and keep it centered, you need to keep your eye on the torque. I know it's been done, but I wouldn't recommend it.
I suppose you could fabricate an adapter ring to center the wheel, but most flanges are over 40 years old, and have accumulated rust in that area making clean up first, almost mandatory.The I suppose you could install some screw-in studs,. That would leave some meat around them.

-
Back