Brake System Rebuild - Planning Ahead

-

Harrison

Reaction score
Alright, while I eventually plan on going to a disk brake setup in my 63 Dart, I'm first going to fix up the current drum brakes that are in there.

Attached are the parts I have. The top left is a dual chamber master cylinder (Napa part 36221). The bottom left are drum rebuild kits (2215). The boxes on the right are brake shoes (R939405 big, R815693 small).

My questions are:
1. Am I missing anything (other than brake lines)?
2. What kind of brake lines should I use?
3. The current drums are probably the originals, and are extremely rusted. Should I go ahead and replace them?
4. Anything else I need to replace?
5. Should I do it with the engine in or out?

And anything else you guys think would be useful to know. I won't be doing it for a while, as I want to get as much information about it as I can.

0803211722.jpg

Yes new drums would be nice(r),old rusty ones are probably out of round if originals.I would also get a new flexline for the rear.Good luck.

What you might want to do is pop a wheel and drum off, see what springs, anchors, etc are there. Compare that to what is in the rebuild kit you bought. I realized after a few trips to the car store that there are several "kits" and I dont think any one kit contains everything you will need. Also get pre-bent brake lines if you can,might save yourself some aggravation.

Yeah, I guess I'll go ahead and replace the drums since they're pretty cheap.

Comparing the diagram in my service manual and the rebuilt kits, I've got everything minus the screws and nuts.

My adjustment cable in the one that I gutted is extremely rusted though. What could I do about that?

Alright, well I figured I might as well just completely rebuild the brakes. I'm looking up parts, it looks like I'll need:

• Drums
  • Wheel Cylinders
  • Self-Adjuster Repair Kit

The bearings and all seemed to be fine, so I don't think I'll replace them.

Did I miss anything?
Where could I get lines from?
The adjuster repair kits on RockAuto, does anyone know if those come with the parts for two wheels, or just one?
Will I need to get a different pushrod for the MC since I'm going from a single-chamber to a dual-chamber?

Small parts, Napa. Don't know about pushrod, but if you buy a new, not reman, a lot, comes with pushrod. Ask first.

Just checked Napa, seems their parts are all $3-4 higher than at RockAuto. Napa where I got my current assortment of parts though.

The MC I bought didn't come with a pushrod. I think this may be what I need?

If you replace the front drums don't let any one press out the studs in the front hubs to remove the old drums or you will be buying a set of good used ones the original setup is swaged to hold the drum and hub together I would cut off the studs with a cutoff wheel then grind them flush with the drum face then try to remove the drum from the hub. Once the drum is off you may have to grind the studs down to the face of the hub to remove any remains of the swaging then you can knock out what's left of the studs. Rock auto.com lists the studs only in right hand so if you had any left hand studs you will have to put back rights. Start the studs with a twist motion so you engauge the splines in the original grooves use a stack of washers and a lugnut flat side against the washers to pull the stud in the hole until the head of the stud seat against the back of the hub then repeat 9 more times now your drums will slide on like the rears

Brian

just...stating an obvious but oft overlooked matter....be sure to check your kits before you leave the auto store. they often have rebuild parts missing, or two of one thing and none of what you need...it's a real ***** getting those brakes off then realizing they shorted you a spring.

also good on you for switching to the dual chamber, mine had her original 1-barrel, aka widowmaker, and when we got into it to check it, the entire thing literally crumbled apart...i was one quick stop away from a very bad accident.

we redid all the brake lines as well, including the bending, and some flares. was no prob getting the lines themselves from standard auto store.

-
Back