brake ?????????

-

dwgibbs

Reaction score
ok,,,,so i got my 74 Swinger painted,,, it has been sitting for awhile with the E-Brake on....... the brakes worked great prior to parking it......Now, the pedal goes to the floor and then brake light comes on..... Master is full, no visible leaks anywhere....... before i replace the master, was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what may have caused my brakes to go???

Stab the pedal REAL hard a few times. Sometimes when the master "starts to go" it's bypassing past the cups internally, due to gum, crap, pitted cylinder wall, etc.

If you can determine that a really hard stab is building pressure, that will tell you .....

master is bad

am pulling my Shelby Dakota out of moth-balls...same prob except I never use the E-brake...master cylinder.

my chevy truck is doing the same thing....sit at a light, pedal goes to the floor, have to pump it up, goes down...change your master cylinder...

thanks ya'll master cylinder was ordered along with wheel cylinders pads/shoes.... might as well do it all....... thanks again for the help

OK,,,,so i replaced the master cylinder.... still no pedal... bled the brakes, no help....no signs of leakage anywhere....... am now thinking its the valve collector...... anyone with any ideas??? is there suppose to be an electric sensor somewhere.... this has me stumped.... forgot to add, manual brakes with discs on the front.....

Bad master again. A valve collector won't cause a no pedal. Only fluid or pressure loss cause that. Did you bench bleed the new master? If not there can be a serious amount of air. Did you pull the wheels and drums to make sure a wheel cylinder is not leaking into a drum? You may not see any evidence externally, but with a drum off it will be clear. If you bench bled the master, bled all the lines properly, and there are indeed no leaks, you have another bad master cylinder.

I bench bled the master.... I see no evidence of leaks anywhere externally... I'll pull the drums tomorrow and see whats there... got new shoes and wheel cylinders to install as well............weird, cuz i had good brakes and then nothing,,, that quick... on the good side,, i got the headers installed today and all the lights working right....headers were a pain, but there in now......thanks for the brake help

-
Back