Brakes light up in the front

-

Otateral

Reaction score
When I press the brakes, the front fog lights/turn signals light up. All bulbs are the proper ones. From searching, it sounds like the problem is most likely the turn signal switch. I pulled the steering wheel today and had a look.

Its ugly lol. Do you think its possible to clean this up and get it working or should I get a new switch?

Attachments

• IMG_20120707_164815.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 214
I would believe one of your brake light bulbs is in backwards...Pull both bulbs and see what happens...or one of the bulb sockets to your brake light bulb is messed up !!
It is where I would start...

That was one of the first things I checked. Bulbs are the correct numbers and in there properly. Not sure how I'd test to see if the sockets are messed up.

Regarding the turn signal assembly, once I have it to the point seen in the photo how do I then remove it? I took off the 3 screws in the center and the 1 longer one that holds the switch handle on. The plastic piece moves and wiggles, but does not seem to pull free. I don't want to yank at it and risk breaking something.

That switch has a long wire harness threaded down though a cover on the bottom of the column tube. You need to disconnect it a coax it out

Yes, push the wire harness up from the bottom of the steering column, and wiggle. Don't cut the connector off. Dweeb mechanics always do that. Use a little screwdriver to release each connector. Draw a wiring diagram first.

I agree w/ 273, and doubt your turn signal switch is the problem. It is a lot of fuss to replace it, and unlikely that will solve the problem. Sounds like cross-talk from shorted wires, if not in the bulb terminals themself. Have you tried it with the rear bulbs removed, to check 273's guess?

I have never seen so much corrosion in a turn signal switch area even when I owned cars while living in Detroit. Being in the bay area you should have close to none. I have to wonder where the car came from.

Yeah, it was just crazy grimy. The car came from the Santa Cruz mountains, so may have reached snow level maybe. The rest of the car isn't bad. Just some rust in the usual places. This turn signal looked like someone took a dump in it.

-
Back