brakes not working right

-
Opposite of "AM"! PM stands for "private message".
To me AM is morning and PM is evening. But I don't know much about this internet communication thing. Never had a reason to get into it until now. Usually I just call a friend, or go over and talk to them, but they have nearly all died off by now.

Thanks. I don't even own a smart phone and have only once sent a text message. On my flip phone. That's how out of touch I am with this internet communication thing.
I never would have gotten "conversation" out of "DM"

It moves pretty quick, for sure!!

The last forum "system" we were on called it a PM or DM. I can't remember which. When we updated to this one it changed to "conversation ".

Reminds me of when the Air Force changed from "salvage" to "Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office"!!!

To me AM is morning and PM is evening. But I don't know much about this internet communication thing. Never had a reason to get into it until now. Usually I just call a friend, or go over and talk to them, but they have nearly all died off by now.
Frankly I feel the same way, but if you want to get ahold of me through this board, you and I will have to "PM" in order to exchange email or phone numbers!!! LOLOL

Getting back to the problem:
I would disconnect all lines & hoses & blow compressed air through them. This will eliminate 'or find' a blockage due to corrosion/sediment build up.

This could also be something like corrosion / rust/ gum in the lines/ tubing, and or in the distribution block which is also the piston warning light switch.

My first thought, already mentioned, is to jump on the master and investigate that. The pedal/ pushrod MUST allow the master piston(s) to retract past the ports in the bottom of the master. YOu can see this, maybe with another person, by applying the brakes, and if necessary, pumping them a bit to get pressure up, and then releasing. When they release, watch in the master reservoir and look for both ports to "erupt" a small amount visible up into the fluid. Sometimes these will actually geyser up and splash out of the master, so use rags, etc, to protect.

If you don't have decent pedal on "one pump", and yet it's "hard" when finally pumped up, suspect adjustment. I always turn the wheel and tighten the adjuster until the wheel will not turn. Then back off "some" like maybe a dozen "clicks" and same thing on opposite side. This should be some "even." Until they are worn in some, it is normal for some drag

Also if the drums are excessively worn and / or have been turned oversize, the shoes may not fit well enough. Back in the day, you used an "arcing" machine to match the curvature (radius) of the shoes to oversize drums. In the REALLY old days, you might even shim lining to make it "bigger" to match worn/ turned drums.

This condition causes the shoes to only contact the center area of the shoes. Not only do you not get full shoe contact, and therefore not full braking action, but this overload of the lining overheats it and causes glazing, further reducing effectiveness
DEL, you're darn good, SIR!

DEL, you're darn good, SIR!
Thanks I've turned a few drums when I was younger. thousands of them, actually. in the early 70's I worked for my Dad's parts store. In those days our small town had several service stations that did tune-up/ brake jobs and other light work. And, there were several 1 or 2 man shops that did that and more. AND a couple of the dealers used to bring us their drums/ rotors. I don't think any of the shops except maybe the local Ford? dealer had a drum or disk lathe. Dad had a drum lathe (old Van Norman) and a "quick way" disk lathe. This allowed you to do 2x the work rather than having to wait for the same lathe to use.

Dad also had an arcing machine which I hated Dusty dirty!!!

When I came here it wasn't long until they bought a brand new Ammco disk/ drum lathe. And they bought the "extra big" spindle for the truck trailers. We turned a LOT of log truck drums. Shop guy made a roll around gantry to ease handling them onto the lathe. There, I turned "a few hundred" more.

Both places had a manuel rivet machine, and I've stomped that thing a few thousand times. We mostly relined truck shoes, but also a few bands for jammers and even steering brakes.

I still have an Ammco disk/ drum lathe, and thought I could make a few bucks turning them. But after a few weeks ad on C/L I gave up. Nobody interested. I've turned a few here and there. Not many

Damn, So You are an Electronic Expert also! Sweet

I still have an Ammco disk/ drum lathe, and thought I could make a few bucks turning them. But after a few weeks ad on C/L I gave up. Nobody interested. I've turned a few here and there. Not many[/QUOTE]
That's a shame folks don't want to have things rebuilt anymore. Sad that people don't realize that

You mentioned swapped rear end. Does it have 9 or 10" drums? Are the springs correct? Had a friend unknowingly who tried to use 10" spring kit on a 9" drum. Almost looked the same but they weren't.

This could also be something like corrosion / rust/ gum in the lines/ tubing, and or in the distribution block which is also the piston warning light switch. ...
I second "corrosion". Once I couldn't bleed a front caliper in my 1982 Dodge Aries. The P.O.'s had done minimal maintenance and sold it because the alternator wasn't working (easy fix). Finally, I pushed as hard as possible with 2 feet on the brake pedal and a bunch of rust gunk blew out the bleeder. Hint - next time remove the bleeder. My 1982 Chevy S-10, bought new, had a rear drum lockup at 5 yrs old. The wheel cylinder had leaked brake fluid to gum up the shoe. The wheel cylinder bore was badly corroded. I envisioned the Chevy factory having an open 50 gal drum they sourced the brake fluid from, with rainwater dripping in and bad-attitude workers tossing soda cans in. I use silicone brake fluid in all my vehicles now and haven't seen any corrosion since.

-
Back