Brand loyal or just like a good vehicle?

-
when I move to GA

You decided on Georgia! I saw your thread but didn't see whete you decided. What city? I'm in Rome.

I've had slew of different makes throughout the years. Started with Mopar and I'll end with Mopar. I'll have my Barracuda until I'm gone.

Went through a van phase when a bunch of friends bought and fixed up vans. When to van-ins and had a blast.

My senior year of high school I bought a brand new 1981 Toyota Mini Truck (as they were called then). It was as basic as they come...radio delete, white steel wheels. Spent 3 years customizing it and driving around the mountains of Pennsylvania.

Drove a British Ford Grenada while stationed in England that I really liked. It was heavy and drove nice. 4spd too!
One time I needed a pickup and bought a F150 with a 460. Could drag a house down the road, lol.

Fell in love with the IROC Camero around 1985, but couldn't afford a new one so I bought a used 1984 Z28, 305, 4spd. It was too damn light, but it was quick!

Had a 91(?) ISUZU Trooper for 4 years. It was very easy to drive and had lots of room.

Daily drove a 1984 Jeep CJ-7 for awhile, then a 1992 Chevy 4x4. It was a pretty truck that I put a 6" suspension lift and a 3" body lift with 35" tires. Single cab with a NV4500. Was like driving a lifted sports car!!

Right now I'm fortunate to have a work car (2021 Honda CRV) that I'm free to drive anywhere and take family. My wife drives a 2018 Camry and I have a 2006 Tundra for when I need a truck.
Some throughout the years.

IMG_20150226_195228~2.jpg

IMG_20150228_010640.jpg

IMG_20181126_212032824.jpg

I was brought up a Chrysler person. They gave my grandfather, my father, and myself a roof over our heads and food in our bellies. I only worked at Chrysler for 4 years, and Ford for 6 months. It was long enough to know, I wasn't cut out for that lifestyle. After that, I kept buying mopar, because that's what I knew and liked most of their vehicles. Being familiar with them for decades, it also made it easier to race and work on them. Since the advent of all the electronics, lack of Chrysler having an idenity, and lack of a meaningful employee discount...I would probably go buy an Audi or VW. Reality is...I probably won't live long enough to wear out my Grand Caravan.

As I side note, I've owned about 300 cars since the age of 15. I had one Ford, one Honda, one Audi, and one Buick. The rest were "Chrysler" vehicles. I no longer feel the mopar-faith for a daily-driver.

Current garage;
2007 Honda Accord V6 (my daily)
2008 Toyota Avalon (wife's daily)
2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (5.3 FWD)
2001 Ford Mustang GT vert
1968 Chrysler 300 (440 w/nos)
1982 Chevy Silverado shortbed (454 swap in progress)

Recently sold;
2004 Hyunda Elantra 5 speed
2009 Mercury Grand Marquis

I mostly daily drive a 2015 Audi S3 with the turbo cranked up to nearly 400hp 400tq. Also drive a 1992 Volvo wagon turbo, and my 1965 Dart GT 273. Also have 69 Dart 67 Belvedere and a 79 Volvo GT turbo project.
AE6E7CA1-79B1-445F-8AF4-A681D21394A2.jpeg

While growing up I leaned GM. Although I had a sprinkling of a little bit of everything over the years. Last few years I have been leaning Mopar. Wifes daily is a 2016 Ram, my daily is a 1st gen Cummins and I also have my 73 Duster.

I'm a Mopar purist, well I realize the brands ( all brands ) are made with a mix of parts from many countries I stay loyal to the brand that has given me and my family enjoyment and kept me safe of 44 years of driving, my daily ride a 2019 ram limited, my wife's a 2019 jeep Cherokee, my toy, a 56 Dodge truck with 70,s/ 80,s style drive train. Both my son's were raised to honor the Mopar flag and they do both have ram trucks , one has a Duster, the other a s/b utiline Dodge truck. I'll admit I have a soft spot for British cars , But NEVER EVER will any brand sleep in my driveway! That's just the way true purist are!

^^^All fun reads! Me? Dad was a chevy guy till our local small town dealer pissed him off and he went Ford. When I was about 17, a local horsey lady would lend me her 64 383 Sport Sat and her trailer for me and a horsey girl to go down the road to some horse shows! She was almost old enough to have been my (young) mother, and I had a bad crush on her. She owned part of the local Mopar dealership. My dad did not like the idea of untized (Mopar) bodies! In HS in the 60s I had a 64 For Custom (postcar) 289 an 3 on tree. Heavy car that needed MORE motor!

I got into OLD Mopars in mid 80s after buying my first "muscle car" just prior, 68 442. From there it was many, many E, B and A bodies over the last 4 decades. Never kept count. Or pics. But there has always been some brand X and Y cars I lusted for. I had a 67 Camaro and a few 60s 70s Corvettes for flipping back in the 90s. Helpd pay for my Mopar buys! I have always seemed to fit with most Ford guys but not too much GM guys. Can't say why precisely.

Way back in late 90s I almost bought a 64 Comet builder. It had that ram hood I love and I bought a 64 Comet roller other day. As in my usual mode, it is a six cyl post (cheap) car. Not worth squat really but it was cheap enough and I have a guy with an old boneyard with everything I need to make it mine.

I still love my Mopars and down to 2 if you count a nice 64 Belvedere MORE door I built that I can't give away! Pulling parts off off it to go on the Comet and will discount whats left! Going to get a mid Falcon for builder also.

Mopar and most old car people are the best! But there are the brand X guys that are ??????????????? :thumbsup:

You decided on Georgia! I saw your thread but didn't see whete you decided. What city? I'm in Rome.

I'll be working in Augusta but likely get a house in one of the surrounding neighborhoods. Unfortunately it looks like we're kind of on opposite sides of the state lol.

Had mopars since I got my licence and used them as daily drivers for most of that time.
Only had 4 brand x cars:
1984 Saab 900 turbo, Nissan R32 GTST Skyline with a RB25det swap (only owned for 10 months before being written off by a drunk driver), 2008 VE commodore (sold as pontiac G8 in the US) and my current daily - a 2022 Kia Stinger GT (badged as the "GT2" in America). Never thought I would say this about a kia but it is very quick and a hell of a lot of fun to drive.

View attachment 1716050769

View attachment 1716050770
I used to own a hyundai tiburon at one point, and i liked it

Decent car, not too expensive

So when it came time to look at a new family hauler i considered the hyundai palisade and kia tellurida

Holy cow, youd think they are a luxury car line, as expensive as they are

We've had 3 mercury grand marquis. As we both like a comfortable car and GM and Chrysler didn't offer any. Our latest family ride is a 2018 ford Taurus. My ride is a 2019 Colorado z71, I've had 3 dodge trucks, 1971, 1989, 1998. The '89 always had trouble with the front coil springs going bad and I never hauled anything with it. Catalytic converter went bad at around 40,000 miles and I kept it tuned up. The '98 started to rust at just a couple of years old, but the biggest complaint is that they all were gas hogs and all had the 318. My 2003 ranger was a good truck until around 60,000 miles, I traded it in on a 2010 Colorado now there's a good truck, 4 wheel drive extended cab with a 5 cylinder engine and it got 27 on the highway, then I did something dumb and traded it for my 2019 Colorado. I've had trucks from the big 3 and both the Colorado's rode and handled better than the Dodge trucks. The dodge trucks never got better than 14 -15 on the highway. I'll probably never have another dodge truck and I can't afford a challenger so I'll have to stick with the older mopars.

I just like a good vehicle, found this great 2007 4x4 silverado with 111 thousand miles on it, $11.500.00 was a steal two years ago right before the crazy prices kicked in.

Screenshot_20230211-112707_Messages.jpg

'16 RX 350 for the 'lil Lady. Either a '03 Gallant or the Crew Cab Cummins for me.

All Mopar here till the day I die. Wife has a 2018 Charger R/t, just ordered a new 2023 Durango R/T, I drive a 2001 Cherokee or a 96 Neon ACR or 66 Formula S and next up will be a 68 Formula S Fastback 383 Automatic. I forgot about the 2009 Challenger R/T 6 speed manual. We take too many cross country drives and don't want to be stuck on the side of the road.

Last edited:
I tend to only keep mopars around for some reason. Besides the couple A bodies there is a pair of '98 neon ACR coupes and a PT GT.

Wife has a 2018 Charger R/t

I just had to run my boy into town and i didnt feel like taking the plow truck so I took my wife's car...'14 pursuit charger
Basically an R/T but with the AWD

We plowed through 3 inches of fresh snow/sleet...it was a blast

All Mopar here till the day I die. Wife has a 2018 Charger R/t, just ordered a new 2023 Durango R/T, I drive a 2001 Cherokee or a 96 Neon ACR or 66 Formula S and next up will be a 68 Formula S Fastback 383 Automatic. We take too many cross country drives and don't want to be stuck on the side of the road.
Believe it or not you can get stuck on the side of the road with a mopar too.

All Mopar here till the day I die. Wife has a 2018 Charger R/t, just ordered a new 2023 Durango R/T, I drive a 2001 Cherokee or a 96 Neon ACR or 66 Formula S and next up will be a 68 Formula S Fastback 383 Automatic. We take too many cross country drives and don't want to be stuck on the side of the road.
For grins I looked up the new Durango and the one that I saw started at 61k, be a cold day in you know where before I pay that much for a vehicle

I used to own a hyundai tiburon at one point, and i liked it

Decent car, not too expensive

So when it came time to look at a new family hauler i considered the hyundai palisade and kia tellurida

Holy cow, youd think they are a luxury car line, as expensive as they are
Yeah the Stinger set me back $70k Australian, so not exactly a budget car but it's definately good bang for buck - comes with all the crap/features of say a BMW 3 series and is faster. Waiting for the warranty to run out so i can do some engine mods (wifes orders) but for now I'm happy with 0-60mph in 4.8 seconds.
Hyundai & Kia have definately come a long way in the last 10 years or so. Would've loved to have bought a challenger instead but the import & RHD conversion costs really kill it - just about doubles the price.

My 2005 Toyota Avalon I got for $500, heated/cooled leather seats. Dual climate control with cold a/c. Killer Bose 6 disc cd stereo early style infotainment system with working navigation and a 280hp v6 makes it fun blowing away many car's that think it's a grandpa's car.

-
Back