Brand loyal or just like a good vehicle?

-
At the beginning of COVID, my wife wanted an trailer, so we got a 1957 Airstream Bubble. She thought it might be a safe way to travel to see the kids since they are all over the country. We were using the Charger R/T, but I think a Durango R/T with the factory tow package would be much better.

View attachment 1716051957
Oh yeah, a Durango should pull that just fine

I've towed a bunch of straight out crazy stuff with my 08 charger and it did Allright, but it clearly wasn't a truck

So, how did the wife like life on the road ?

I consider myself a mopar guy, but if I look at my history….I just like a well built, well designed vehicle with some style. My current garage is really a mutt! Dailey drive a 21 Ram Laramie dually diesel and a 15 mustang gt in good weather. Wife drives a 21 Ford bronco big bend, daughter drives a 13 audi a4, and fun driver for me is 66 barracuda. What else do y’all own and enjoy driving other than our classic mopars? Post up.

View attachment 1716050253

View attachment 1716050256

View attachment 1716050258

View attachment 1716050254

View attachment 1716050255

View attachment 1716050257
Mopar through and through. Mopar or no car. Even modern stuff.

At the beginning of COVID, my wife wanted an trailer, so we got a 1957 Airstream Bubble. She thought it might be a safe way to travel to see the kids since they are all over the country. We were using the Charger R/T, but I think a Durango R/T with the factory tow package would be much better.

View attachment 1716051957
My wife’s 2021 Durango RT has the same tow rating as a 90s 3/4 ton gas truck

I have yet to own anything besides a Mopar or jeep.
Sorry, Hondas Toyota Hyundai Kia BMW Nissan aren't even welcome in my driveway. Never were never will be.
I have scaled back on side work, and even when I was doing more of it, I would tell people who wanted work done on any of those, "sorry, I have no service information on them and don't know where I could find it".

Couldn't afford a 21 anything even if I did want to.
Wife's daily driver And our tow vehicle is an 01 Durango, 360 mag, 305,*** miles and climbing. And ain't interested in sending it down the road for something else,. (again) even if we could afford to. It's been that good for us.
I wish I could find a nice rust free dodge B-van. I still miss my 87 and dads 79, and 86.

Couldn't afford a 21 anything even if I did want to.
Wife's daily driver And our tow vehicle is an 01 Durango, 360 mag, 305,*** miles and climbing. And ain't interested in sending it down the road for something else,. (again) even if we could afford to. It's been that good for us.
I wish I could find a nice rust free dodge B-van. I still miss my 87 and dads 79, and 86.
We tow with our 2000 Durango, but I've got some work I need to do to it. It needs front end work and I almost have my space to tear it apart ready for it. Also needs upholstery on the front buckets (bottom only). Speakers have been blown since we bought it (over 10 years ago) so I just bought a CHEAP Android Auto double din radio for it and will install regular speakers in place of the 2 ohm Infinity units. We've got around 176,000 on it, but only put 2-4k per year on it so it really should last forever. Clearcoat on the hood is failing so I'll probably fix that some time this spring as well.

Although, I'd really like a new V6 Durango with tow package and heated seats (we used them constantly in our BMW and use them constantly in the Hyundai because it keeps our back loose).

I have yet to own anything besides a Mopar or jeep.
Sorry, Hondas Toyota Hyundai Kia BMW Nissan aren't even welcome in my driveway. Never were never will be.
I have scaled back on side work, and even when I was doing more of it, I would tell people who wanted work done on any of those, "sorry, I have no service information on them and don't know where I could find it".
I understand and agree with what you're saying but those mopars and jeeps have major components made in Japan and China as well as Mexico, you can't get away from it.

Yeah I know, but as long as mopars from the 4.0 inline 6, 318 and 360 era are still out there popping up as available, I don't care what the newer ones have in them. I do have a 12, dodge 1/2 ton, and it's the newest one I have ever had, only got "that" new because last time I needed something I didn't have cash for what I wanted/ and that was the next to oldest one I could buy with bank assistance. They cut me off below '11. I wanted '01 or older.this 12 is doing the job, it's a reg cab long bed but it's just "ok"..... Bland.... No character.
My first 4.7 it started life as a Fastenal truck.
The more I drive it the more hungry I become to get my '85 d150 to where I want it to be.
I started pulling out the dash today for addition of factory air. And an about 2 pieces short of having all I will need to add a 3rd pedal and an 833OD.
The lack of a stick being available is only a small part of why I don't care much for anything new.
And being out earlier today with my wife, and getting ever more disgusted with the lack of American vehicles sitting around me at any given stop light..... First started noticing that when I had my last wrangler which I had for almost 20 years. Another vehicle I'd love to have another of, but not a current rendition.

Last edited:
Yeah I know, but as long as mopars from the 4.0 inline 6, 318 and 360 era are still out there popping up as available, I don't care what the newer ones have in them. I do have a 12, dodge 1/2 ton, and it's the newest one I have ever had, only got "that" new because last time I needed something I didn't have cash for what I wanted/ and that was the next to oldest one I could buy with bank assistance. They cut me off below '11. I wanted '01 or older.
I had a 1972 gremlin x with a 258 in line 6, it ran great for a stock 6 cylinder

And who mandated that we can't get anything that only has 2 doors any more More doors have their place but it's not here.

I had a 1972 gremlin x with a 258 in line 6, it ran great for a stock 6 cylinder
That 258 is exactly where the 4.0s had their roots. I wanted to find a 258 when I had either my wrangler and/or even my xj Cherokees to pirate the crank out of, to stroke out my 4.0s.

That 258 is exactly where the 4.0s had their roots. I wanted to find a 258 when I had either my wrangler and/or even my xj Cherokees to pirate the crank out of, to stroke out my 4.0s.
I've read on people doing that, do you know what pistons are needed?

We tow with our 2000 Durango, but I've got some work I need to do to it. It needs front end work and I almost have my space to tear it apart ready for it. Also needs upholstery on the front buckets (bottom only). Speakers have been blown since we bought it (over 10 years ago) so I just bought a CHEAP Android Auto double din radio for it and will install regular speakers in place of the 2 ohm Infinity units. We've got around 176,000 on it, but only put 2-4k per year on it so it really should last forever. Clearcoat on the hood is failing so I'll probably fix that some time this spring as well.

Although, I'd really like a new V6 Durango with tow package and heated seats (we used them constantly in our BMW and use them constantly in the Hyundai because it keeps our back loose).
If you were closer I could help ya out with the Durango seats.... I have a set in the attic, fantastic except the driver seat bottom could use some replacement padding, and I could use the room. I'd like to find another Durango, current 01 has the 360 in it, but any I find around here like mine are on that. factory "lightening" program because of a winter salt diet. I'd like to find another 98-03 with a 318/360 and a solid rust free body. Being ours is in the shape it's in, is why it ain't leaving anytime soon
I've done replaced the whole suspension over the past 10 years and 90k miles we have put on it, and didn't mind doing so. Still daily driven at 305k and counting. Just put another 125 miles on it a few hours ago.

I've read on people doing that, do you know what pistons are needed?
Could go either way, I forget which(stock) rods were used/between the 258 and the 4.0, if one or the other is used you can just reuse the stock 4.0 pistons. I think the combo for that is to use the 258 rods and 258 crank, then stock 4.0 pistons are used, if you run the 4.0 rods you need custom (but not that exotic anymore since more people are doing this) pistons.

Wow I went away for a day, didn’t realize what I started! I wouldn’t trade my 21 ram dually for anything!

Oh yeah, a Durango should pull that just fine

I've towed a bunch of straight out crazy stuff with my 08 charger and it did Allright, but it clearly wasn't a truck

So, how did the wife like life on the road ?

The last trip we made with the Airstream was last summer. From Greenwood, SC to the San Juan Islands north of Seattle. The Charger pulled the Airstream just fine at 70 to 75 mph for four days each way. The Airstream only weighs about 1,800 lb. But the mpg dropped from 30-32 to 15-18. I'd feel a bit better with a more substancial vehicle made for towing. I personally would just use my 2001 Jeep Cherokee, but it is not "clean" enough for my wife. My wife and I have always loved driving and we regularly drive to PA, CO, and SD every year. As for camping, we towed the Airstream to the San Juan Islands, parked it at the campground where the kids and grandkids stayed, then checked into a bed and breakfast just down the road. It was tough having our own bath and gourmet breakfast everyday. That is life with my wife.

You had good luck and that's great, but that still doesn't mean that it couldn't happen, after all it's mechanical
It all depends on how you take care of things. Both Grandparents were mechanics, ands I've worked with some great mechanics. If I like a vehicle, I can keep it running good forever. Of course it helps to start with something good to begin with...

My wife isn't interested in the new vehicles either
We were watching an episode of "EMERGENCY" a while back and even she said "why can't they make cars like those any more*? I told her I'd like to find another 03- older Durango or xj Cherokee rust free and get the maintenance all caught up on it, so it's ready to go when the current Durango does have to go.. ...and she was just fine with that. At this point I'm hoping that don't happen for another 100k...,

198E9D61-D984-49F5-8FE0-C9CEB0F3ADE5.jpeg

C3705DF4-1F95-4361-8AC6-95E6F1B7C7F1.jpeg

C95A9B92-F89D-45D0-BB47-9A92ADA2CA58.jpeg

64E146FA-04CE-4FF5-B8DC-FDCBEEE4F977.jpeg
This is what we tow. She’s a bit husky so I’m glad to own the truck we own.

-
Back