Brand loyal or just like a good vehicle?

-
If you were closer I could help ya out with the Durango seats.... I have a set in the attic, fantastic except the driver seat bottom could use some replacement padding, and I could use the room. I'd like to find another Durango, current 01 has the 360 in it, but any I find around here like mine are on that. factory "lightening" program because of a winter salt diet. I'd like to find another 98-03 with a 318/360 and a solid rust free body. Being ours is in the shape it's in, is why it ain't leaving anytime soon
I've done replaced the whole suspension over the past 10 years and 90k miles we have put on it, and didn't mind doing so. Still daily driven at 305k and counting. Just put another 125 miles on it a few hours ago.
Ours is also a 5.9 2wd with 3.55 gears. We got it with 113,000 miles not running (bad PCM). We can't travel in it right now due to the tires being pretty worn from the front suspension issues, but soon. There's also just not much reason to drive it long distances unless we need to considering the fuel mileage difference between it and the Hyundai, plus the Hyundai is more comfortable. But, that's why the mileage isn't rising much these days.

I'm just going to go to a local upholstery shop to get a price on the seat bottoms and foam. Can't be too much compared to a new vehicle.

The other thing about ours is that when it was totaled we were paid for its value so we're basically driving it free except for operating costs.

While I think that Mopar had some of the best 1960s era designs, I've owned cars from almost everywhere. America, Germany, Britain, Japan, and Korea. Although I think the only Japanese vehicle I had that was actually made in Japan instead of the Ohio Honda plant was a Dodge Ram 50. Currently I haven't owned any Italian, French, or Warsaw Pact cars, but that could happen if I manage to get more space for project cars and time to work on them!

It all depends on how you take care of things. Both Grandparents were mechanics, ands I've worked with some great mechanics. If I like a vehicle, I can keep it running good forever. Of course it helps to start with something good to begin with...
Maintenance is important. I've told people this all of the time, they think they can drive their vehicles forever without doing anything to them. I was trained in preventive maintenance but I was already doing oil changes and tune ups on my own vehicle's. before then

My wife calls me fanatical when it comes to regular and scheduled maintenance, it's something that I have always believed in and I have been doing all my life. I do almost everything that any of our vehicles need, unless it's just not practical for me to get it done for some reason. I have had very few mechanical breakdowns and have been stranded maybe 5 or 6 times in my life.
Just common sense IMHO.

Couldn't afford a 21 anything even if I did want to.
Wife's daily driver And our tow vehicle is an 01 Durango, 360 mag, 305,*** miles and climbing. And ain't interested in sending it down the road for something else,. (again) even if we could afford to. It's been that good for us.
I wish I could find a nice rust free dodge B-van. I still miss my 87 and dads 79, and 86.
Yea neither could we at current prices.

But we happened to time the pandemic perfectly. By sheer luck. This dealer is one of the largest in this part of the state, hadn’t been able to get anyone approved without serious cash down in months.this particular Durango had been on the lot since August 2020, we got it in Jan 2021. Right before all the craziness happened in the car market. Our approval went thru in mere minutes, shocking the hell out of the sales staff, from then on it looked like that scene in PrettyWoman with them just tossing anything we wanted at us.

All told, after all the discounts, the 2500 for our old crappy durango with the dash looking like the Vegas strip with all the warning lights and rust holes the size of basketballs, we walked out nearly 30,000 dollars of MSRP after we added the warranty.

And a 2.3 percent interest rate…

4 months later, that same dealer called us back asking if we wanted to sell it back to them… for 32,000 dollars MORE than we originally paid…

Looking at a couple of mid 90's Camero's and vets today... Would like a ta but very hard to find..
You couldn't give me a mustang ( that's where I draw the line..)
My garage is full of Mopar summer stuff.. 98 ram in driveway, 98 Durango (wife's getto wagon..) and her 21 Kia that I'm putting to many miles on.. sooo a 5-6k kick around car for me...

Lets see
2022 Durango GT
2013 Chrysler 300 (56000 mi)
2011 Ram 5.7
69 Dart gt conv
69 Barracuda conv
you decide

My wife calls me fanatical when it comes to regular and scheduled maintenance, it's something that I have always believed in and I have been doing all my life. I do almost everything that any of our vehicles need, unless it's just not practical for me to get it done for some reason. I have had very few mechanical breakdowns and have been stranded maybe 5 or 6 times in my life.
Just common sense IMHO.
In my 47 years of driving I've only been stranded twice and neither time was due to a mechanical issue. I'm a firm believer in maintenance. I have a maintenance schedule for our vehicles when the oil is changed the tires get rotated as well.Maintaince is the key for vehicle longevity. Every season I change the oil and filter, fuel filter, plugs and I clean the air filter and lube my riding mower, it's almost 10 years old and still has the original battery and belts. I inspect the belts for wear and cracks.

In my 47 years of driving I've only been stranded twice and neither time was due to a mechanical issue. I'm a firm believer in maintenance. I have a maintenance schedule for our vehicles when the oil is changed the tires get rotated as well.Maintaince is the key for vehicle longevity. Every season I change the oil and filter, fuel filter, plugs and I clean the air filter and lube my riding mower, it's almost 10 years old and still has the original battery and belts. I inspect the belts for wear and cracks.
So your lawn mower has never left you stranded?......
LOL... :lol: :poke:

C3 Corvettes were cheap but they have been rising in price. Maybe still cheap in comparison to ??? You could not pay me to work on one. And my finger are not fat!

Looked at 2 z28's and a Corvette yesterday and got four stores... :rolleyes: ...
58B875EF-D73B-4BAE-8358-F3A99BF9D8D4.jpeg

D414BA58-009B-47A0-988D-04722C038C6F.jpeg

F2BD81E8-C796-4C0B-8035-8E7C91A175DF.jpeg
Used to have a 99WS6 that I sold to get my first classic mopar(73 challenger). Miss that Trans Am. And the challenger for that matter!

Yes sir they were. Bought that t/a in Philly and drove it 5 hours home. Averaged over 30mpg on that trip. Then i added mods lol.
i used to have a lil VW passat, 1.8 turbo with a 5 speed manual
i had the ECU reprogrammed so instead of spiking at 7 and holding at 5 psi, it would spike at 19 and hold 17 all day long

my wife could get in the 40mpgs with that car all day long, i couldnt stay out of boost and consistently dropped her down to 20s

My brother had a c5 with a LS3 stroker. Fastest car I’ve ridden in. Definitely tons of potential with those cars.

If you pick a Vette on the way up in appreciation, I can see that is a good option.
The older the Vette he harder it is to find a good example and thats worth the $.

When I talk about a Corvette to my friends every one of them says they've always wanted one followed by their hard to get in and out of. LOL..

-
Back