Brand new tranny question ...

-

ValerianMagnum

the little car that could
Reaction score
humm.. i picked p my car today , and the guy who did my tranny said that i should take it easy with my car ... for the first 90 - 100 miles , yes i know i did something stupid i did a big start at a green light ,,, do you think that it would break or damage my tranny ???? i tried it out the next hour after that and everything seemed to be okay .. jeezz i feel bad !!

btw my tranny set-up is nothing huge !

360 magnum 390hp crate with 727/ 2900-3000 stall
8 3/4 diff with 3.23 gears !

please tell me what do you think about it !

thx

taking it easy on a trans for a few miles is for two reasons. First, it ensures all air pockets in the maze of passages are forced out and the fluid fills and operates the trans as it should. Second, if new bushings have been put in, it gives them some time to work in before slamming the trans around. Thats the reasoning, how much difference it makes is anyones guess.

Scenario #1:

He gave you a 100 mile warranty on the trans.

Scenario #2:

Technically, you're supposed to soak all the friction material (clutch discs & bands) in trans fluid before assembly... no break-in required. Some guys get lazy and assemble it dry, telling you to take it easy on the trans.

Scenario #3:

All of the above.

Did your big start include a shift into second? Was it from the light in front of the tranny shop? If so and scenario #2 applies, you may have heated up the kickdown band and forward clutch drum a little. Nothing too serious. If you didn't hit 2nd then its fine. Even if you did its probably still fine. Forget about it and enjoy your car!

taking it easy on a trans for a few miles is for two reasons. First, it ensures all air pockets in the maze of passages are forced out and the fluid fills and operates the trans as it should. Second, if new bushings have been put in, it gives them some time to work in before slamming the trans around. .

The above happens the first time the trans is run though all the gears, which should be in the shop on the lift before the final fluid check. The bushings are bronze (and therefore soft) and "wear in" pretty much right away.

thx guys ! ! no i didnt shift it .. it was just a nice lil start of 5-6 seconds just enought to have the tire screaming and the back of the car was swingin ! no weird sound appeared and the car shifts okay ( all the 3 gears ) i was more stressed out for the interior like the gears , bands , sprag, etc .... anyways i hope i didnt break something

thx a lot , Joe !

I believe Mr Ed got it with the dry frictions thing. I always soak my frictions and bands overnight.

The guy that did your tranny either soaked them only a few minutes or just dunked them then installed them.

Chuck

-
Back