Brandons 1971 dart build

-

604 Racing

604 RACING
Reaction score
hey guys, i recently picked up a 71 dart to build, nothing fancy, just a nice street cruiser that i can take to the track on the weekends, plans are to keep a stock appearence, full interior, and to the untrained eye, a restored orig

i picked up the car when the previous owner was in the middle of making a race car out of it....

i scrapped the roll bar, and some other stuff from the car, including the original 318/904/7.25

first thing i did was convert the ca to bbp with all new bushing, balljoints, tierods, etc, and added some nice QA1 coilovers,

my plans for the build ar a mild 340 (400hp) 4spd (already have) and 8.75 with 411 gars (already have) plans for the paint are sassy grass with a black vinal top, and black hoo with missile scoops,

i will have more progress pics up tomorrow
ProjectDart009.jpg

ProjectDart013.jpg

ProjectDart014.jpg

ProjectDart016.jpg

ProjectDart004.jpg

ProjectDart003.jpg

any suggestions on colors? im going to have a vinal top, perf black vinal, looking into sassy grass, plum crazy, or orange....anyone have pics of darts in various colors along with paint codes?

thanks

I'm all for the Sassy Grass!
Its the color I have been mulling over for my own Dart!

I also love Plum Crazy, but I just don't think my own Dart would look good in it for some reason...

Either way, that looks like a great project!
I actually really like these cars in white, and I'm thinking that white may be my color of choice for when I temp spray my Dart this summer.

Welcome to FABO,nice little project you have there.Have you ever thought about silver with a black top,tail stripe?

thanks guys,

yea, ive thought of "storm grey" sort of like a charcol color, but i would like a "high impact" color,

this is my first mopar build, i have a small shop in the suburbs of vancouver and ive been building bbc gbodys,

i recently 2 of my chevy drag cars just so i can build my dream car, (dream car is a 71 demon, but the dart is 2nd)

its a late father/son project, (im 24 now) and ive been helping my dad restore some of his cars, hes had 2 N/M lime green 340-4spd demons, 2 orange dusters, 1 being a 71, 318/auto and the one he has now is an orig n/m 340-3spd orange duster, and also has a 68 360-4spd dart...(in the garage of pic 1)

Nice project.. I like the A4 gunmetal, and think it would look good. Of course, nowhere near as flashy..

Didn't forget bout the pedals, will update you once the replacements arrive.

Grant

What ever you do,dont paint it Sassy Grass,or Green Go as Dodge called it.
It doesnt look very good.

Hart Basketball 036.jpg

You are right don't paint it sassy grass or B5. Both of those cars look like crap.LOL Both of those cars are really nice and anybody would be proud to have them. Brandon with the start you have I'm sure any color you pick will do the Mopar bunch proud. Nice car and good luck on your build.

well, today i got my engine bay down t bare metal, prepped, shaved, and tomorrow morning im straying the ppg primer,

last 2 pics are my old mans cars,

dartbuild027.jpg

dartbuild026.jpg

dartbuild030.jpg

dartbuild029.jpg

dartbuild031.jpg

dartbuild049.jpg

dartbuild053.jpg

dartbuild047.jpg

your dad has some nice rides! and your project looks like it should turn out wicked too...im a green guy, so my opinion is biased, but ive always liked plum crazy with a black vinyl top, white bumblebee stripe, and white interior....good luck with this one, it looks like fun!

Keep up the nice work. Your dad has some nice cars too. I wish my dad would let me get a 71 duster down the road but I guess I'll just drive one of his.

put a coat of etching primer over the bare metal, then i used an epoxy primer, shot it from a gun, now i have some more filler and a couple hours to smooth out the firewall, then final coat of primer, final sand then paint

enginebay004.jpg

stil not sure of the color....i have it down to sassy grass, plum crazy, or orange....i want to get the engine conpartment painted so ican focus on the motor

You cant go wrong with sublime or sassy grass :D Then again orange would look real good if you had white interior and stripe. What color interior are you going with? and stripe or no stripe?

well, ive narrowed it down to 2 colors.....sassy grass green, and orange....either was its goin to have a black vinal, gloss black hood with orange/green divider in the middle of the hood and a black tail stripe

well, made mycolor choice, sassy grass green

today i got the roof down to bare metal, all the drip rails too....grinded out all the seam filler to bare metal also (on the drip rail) and put in new sealer, and also welded up the lower rocker trim holes....

now i am ready to take off the quarters and trunk, also start on the minni tub.

resto001.jpg

resto002.jpg

resto003.jpg

resto005.jpg

resto004.jpg

im also redoing the dorr latch pin,the metal supporting the door latch has become weak, and even cracked

does anyone have pictures of how they did theirs? we did them in my dads 68 dart, but id like to see some more examples for refrence

-
Back