brass washers for manifold

-

goatboy

Reaction score
I need to know if anyone knows where to get the brass washers for the ends of the manifolds. I had a shop here in town help with some broken stud on my /6 and they didn't put the brass washers on the ends so now they leak a little antifreeze. I can't seem to find anyone with the brass washers. Does anyone know if I can still get them? Maybe even and alternative?

here is a pic, the white residue can't be good. thanks for any help

IMG_0564edit.jpg

The brass washers are ordinary hexagon washers, for use on all studs except the top front and rear, which originally got castellated nuts. You can still get castellated nuts, see for example here

Just wondering, where is your kickdown lever?

I know this is a dumb question but what do you mean kick down lever? I am pretty new to these older cars. I am used to motorcycles and the dart is a little different. thanks

The problem is not your washers. The ones in the pic look fine to me. The end studs thread into the water jackets and those studs need to have thread sealer on them when installed. Pull the studs out, put some sealer on the threads and screw them back in the head. I've had good results with regular silver plumber's pipe dope.

Thanks. I figure I will stop by the shop on my way to work today and ask them to look at it. Only because they did the work and I want to see if they will fix it. If not I will bring it home myself and do it, and they will not see me again. thanks

Kickdown lever or kickdown rod. See this article. It is actually a post from slantsix.org about converting from a one barrel to a two barrel. The linkages for the one barrels are different than the super six linkages. What carburetor does your 71 Dart have?

Here is how the linkages attach to the carb:
twobarrel-linkage.jpg

You must also adjust the kickdown linkage once it is installed:

throttlekickdown-adjustment.jpg

You can actually damage your transmission without the kickdown installed.

The brass washers are ordinary hexagon washers, for use on all studs except the top front and rear, which originally got castellated nuts. You can still get castellated nuts, see for example here

Actually that is not correct. The factory nuts look similar to castellated nuts, but if you look closely the "castle" part is tapered on the outside diameter, and the "notches are much smaller. The taper/castle side goes on the stud, and seats in the taper in the brass washer. This squeeses the castle part of the nut tighter on the stud, This prevents the nut from comming loose, without having to overtighten the nut. The manifold cannot be tightened too much. it must be free to "float", otherwise it will crack.
PS: the "special" nuts are made of unobtainium. The brass washers are hard to find, also.If you find them in a salvage yard, grab them.

I have a 1920 holley 6260-2. I put it back together the way I took it off. I think i need someone that knows how to adjust it better than I do. It's also cold as hell here in missouri, I am sure thats not helping matters.

Since I went to a local shop and had them fix the broken studs before thats where I took it to have them look at it. I think it they should fix the studs since they did the work. They have it now. I should hear back from them today.

Get that man a kickdown assembly.... Quick!
Unless... is your Dart a manual shift?
If so you do not have a kickdown assembly.

"Unobtainium" lololol I Love it!

So.... this is my 2 cents worth.
Hope it helps and if not ask us again.
I have 30+ years of working on and owning slant 6's. I don't race 'em anymore... just cruise now.
I don't know everything, but do know a pretty good amount and love to help anytime.

Later,
Bruce B.

Grumpuscreature: I just replaced the two outside manifold studs on my 273, didn't think about using any sealant. Do you think they should have been sealed? I don't recall if they tap into a water passage or not.

I got it back from the shop, they tried to tell me that the residue was from the thermostat housing was bad and that it was running down on the manifold. I don't believe them but it doesn't really matter too much since the old girl is going into the body shop next week and probably won't be out till spring. thanks

-
Back