Break-In. How Long?

-

eekvonzipper

My Member is Legendary!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
New Cam/Lifters/Chain, Fresh Rings. Rebuilt '65 273, Cam Break-In done...
Started Driving it over the weekend. Haven't Revved it passed 3000 rpm yet.
How long should I be nice to it before I can Floor-It and Shift at 5000?

Just try driving it harder. I never liked to get after it too soon.

I like to get 1000 miles on one with no trouble.

Is there any benifits to babying them I always break them in like I will drive them after the first 20 minutes. New cars get the same

I would like the New Rings to Seat properly... but I can hardly wait to hear it Rev.

Use to take it on the highway alternating rpm's to seat the ring's..then straight to the track for a beating!!

It makes zero difference. Once the cam is broken in and you change the oil the first time you SHOULD drive it harder to seat the rings. Do a couple burnouts then drive it like any engine you ever had.

I always allowed myself one full throttle run per day after the first start and seat. After 500 miles I change the oil, then green light all the way.

What nuthin for us? No audio it didnt happen :lol:

Buddy ran his 512 (Source stroker) for 20 minutes at 2000.
Promptly took it to Luskville dragstrip in Quebec and ran 10.5 all weekend
Don Garlits said he and Cotton Owen would put a new 426 on the engine stand, set it at 6000 rpm and go for lunch. If it was running when they came back they knew they had a good one...i'm not that brave but i never baby mine either.

Man that is smooth and sounds solid, no miss and ready to rip.

You are supposed to break it in until it breaks...

That's what 'break in' says....

IMO- Just be sure to check nuts and bolts after a few heat cycles before you start beating on it.

New Cam/Lifters/Chain, Fresh Rings. Rebuilt '65 273, Cam Break-In done...
Started Driving it over the weekend. Haven't Revved it passed 3000 rpm yet.
How long should I be nice to it before I can Floor-It and Shift at 5000?
Used to be 250 miles, reasons differ.
I say do some steady loading of the rings, half throttle pulls, cruise, more h.t pulls... then cruise then full throttle 5000 rpm or so in shortburrs, like to up to 70mph..them let off to light throttle decelerating the motor down to 1500-2200 cruise again.
You're just seating the rings and checking tune/af. I think if the tunes good just take a couple Full Throttle pulls to seat the Rings and drive it like you would.

The long break in time of old was for old "iron" rings and old bearing technology. If your using today's technology parts, your cam break in has already seated everything else. Let her rip...

The long break in time of old was for old "iron" rings and old bearing technology. If your using today's technology parts, your cam break in has already seated everything else. Let her rip...
It is Old Iron, w/ Cast Rings, Reground Cam, Honed-Finish No Re-Bore.
New Pump and Bearings

When the cam is in, beat the crap out of it. If your rings aren’t seated by then it’s junk.
agree
The internet makes things a lot harder than reality.
I usually break the cam in and let it cool down.
The next heat cycle at operating temperature I figure she's ready to go.

-
Back