Breaking in a new engine

-
Go out and stand on it as hard as you can; if you built it right, you've got nothing to worry about. Combustion pressure is what seats rings, driving it soft doesn't do you much good.

Good luck and have fun!!

a friend put a new 500 plus stroker in his drag car, set the timing at 32 and ran it for 20 minutes at 2400.Then he raced it wide open all weekend at Luskville drag strip where it ran mid tens.
Brought it home and put it in his restored Duster.

I run my engines up and down in RPM and in loading for quite a few miles, 50 at least. The engines I use in rallying are going to see a lot of varied loads and RPM's so I feel that variety wears things in like they will see in real competition.

Rings seat in minutes as said if the bores and clearances and bore finish are set right, as least plain iron and moly faced rings.

Cam break-in as has been recited many times here: vary RPM's in the 1500-2500 RPM range for 20 minutes or so right after start up. Having the carb right to start up and using methods for setting ignition time right to start are key pre-start things to do so that you can go immediately into the cam break-in. Using a known good carb is another key. Even if I had to change intakes, I would use a known good carb for break-in rather than any unknown carb that I was going to eventually use. Break-in the cam THEN start fooling around with a new carb, fine tuning, etc.

Having a good start-up routine established is good too. Oil pressure first, then initial timing check done in the first few seconds, while listening for anything strange, then run up RPM's for the cam break-in. Have someone watching continuously for leaks during that phase, and also watching for coolant flow in the rad and then top off the coolant (usually after about 5 minutes).

-
Back