Briggs & Stratton

-

George R

Mopar Nutcase
Reaction score
Guys,
I'm building a mini-bike for my son, and I have a 5HP Briggs to use, but it has a 1" diameter output shaft on it. The clutches they sell for mini-bikes are made for either a 5/8" or 3/4" diameter crankshaft.

Does anyone have a Briggs 5 horse crankshaft that is either 5/8" or 3/4" diameter that I could buy inexpensively? If so, I could simply swap the crankshaft out to the correct size.

Thanks in advance for any help.

George

They do make 1" clutches. I will look it up later for you. I have one but will be using it.

They have the 1 inch clutch at Tractor Supply. I had the opposite problem and needed a 5/8 clutch last summer.

I know they sell a 1" clutch, but they're priced close to $100.00 where the 3/4" or 5/8" is like $35.00.
Tractor Supply only lists a 3/4" clutch.

George

alot of go kart supply places online. or you could just go to harbor freight and pick up a cheap engine for 100 bucks. that is what i used when i made my scooter. does 50mph

102_0172.jpg

102_0149.jpg

I can't afford to spend that much.
I figured if I can get a used crankshaft for CHEAP, and spend $40 on a clutch I'd be good to go.
Can't afford a new engine, but if I did buy one, it would still need a clutch.

Amazon clutch for 1" crank is $119 plus shipping.

I figured someone would have an old non running engine and could take the crank out of it for me.

I knew it wouldn't be that easy. Never is.

Thanks for the help.

Geo

You got a buddy with a lathe? If you are willing to pull the engine down and swap cranks, it would not be much of a job to chuck it in a lathe and turn down the output

IN FACT you could use a little thinking and might devise a way to turn it / grind it down right in the engine, running the engine to turn the shaft!!

I have a buddy that owns a machine shop within walking distance from my house. He's REALLY busy, and they do top notch work, even making parts for NASA in the past. He's big into mechanical arms and grabbers now for automation machines.
Having said all that, I hate to ask him to spend his valuable time and use his expensive equipment to turn a crankshaft for a kid's toy.

I thought about trying to "turn the crank at home" like you suggested! I guess great minds think alike! LOL But I would have to cut a keyway into the crank after all that was done, and I don't see how I could do that job correctly with meager hand tools.

Thanks for the input!

George

Me and a friend once turned down a shaft on a 5hp briggs by running it at idle and using the grinder on it :sign5:

Got the job done but rather poorly.

Does anyone have a Briggs 5 horse crankshaft that is either 5/8" or 3/4" diameter that I could buy inexpensively? If so, I could simply swap the crankshaft out to the correct size.

Have you called a local small engine shop, it could be they might sell you a used one cheap.

Have you called a local small engine shop, it could be they might sell you a used one cheap.
I stopped into one local lawnmower repair shop last week and asked. His response was "No. And even if I did, it would have gone in the trash the same day I got it". Guy was kind of a jerk about it. Now I feel funny asking at another shop. LOL
There's a lot of lawnmower shops around here. Maybe I'll try asking at a few other ones.
These companys need to realize that with the economy in the shape it's in, people don't have money to waste like that on something unnecessary like a mini-bike, especially at Christmas time. They act like everybody is rich up here in CT.
I just want to make my kid happy and get this thing running for him.

George

-
Back