Bringing back a 66 Valiant to daily Driver status

-

Deemo

Reaction score
So I found these two 66 Valiants, and couldn't afford to buy them. Posted them up here on FABO and low and behold a member bought them. SSVDP purchased the two cars to make one, and he asked me to put this one back on the road for him. Well, here goes nothing. Got some rust but this is something I love doing. Don't let your cars sit. They were meant to be driven, not sat and forgotten. Not trailer queens either. Going to end up building one engine, swapping two engines, all so two 66s and one 65 can keep on going. Got some extra parts, and the two door will be the first to ride again!

Now time to clean them up :)

IMG_0989.JPG

52054310764__BE83EE4C-E00A-4E4D-8450-27BA43927B11.JPG

image.jpg

Might you have an extra deck lid and back window left over when done?
No I won't. The glass is good on all 3 except the fronts where the fog is in the lower parts from where they are separating from the safety glass.

Well. This is where I'm at with it now, and yes. He is a great guy. Once this thing is done I'll give the rest of the story. But for now it's time to do my part. I can't say enough of the knowledge he's given me and let me read through his 66 Plymouth tech manual. I've literally not put it down since I got it. There's a 4 door dart in Manchester Tennessee for sale. Thought about stopping and looking at it when I go to my mopar gold mine Saturday. Rich knows the the story of the father and son literally giving me free reign of hundreds of a body parts for nothing so one day they can help someone keep theirs on the road. Tomorrow is paint day for the engine bay. Tonight has been wiring clean up, and parts clean up.

IMG_0989.JPG

Yes this is my new 1966 Plymouth Valiant Signet hardtop project. Thanks to Deemo who found it and is helping A LOT. The seller said he had rescued this car almost a decade ago from becoming a racecar. He has kept it in a barn with a nice concrete floor so it was dry with no evidence of critters residing in it.

It is a project car. What's there is mostly original it's just not in very good condition. The slant six engine, automatic transmission and gas tank were removed. The front floor had also been removed - I assume for replacement . The interior has needs too, notably bucket seat covers and dash pad. The vinyl top has been removed and the roof was painted with white primer. The rest of the paint is original but exhibits many marks from the last fifty years. The lower portion of the body is still argent and the side trim is mostly still present but rather beat up. There's about a two inch rust hole in the quarter panel and there's some surface rust with poor paint work around the drivers side tail light.

My plans are to get it back on the road pretty much as it was first sold. I could not do this without Deemo doing all of the serious work.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

All unbolted....Time to get the engine hoist out and give this 225 /6 a new home

image.jpg

-
Back