Broke in Valdosta, GA this time

-

dodgedartgt

Reaction score
'67 'Cuda The radiator sprang a leak this time. It is way too bad for stop leak. Does anyone have a spare 22" for an automatic? Plz call or text me at (5 zero 3) 4 three 4 - 3 9 five five

Thnx in advance,
Mike (still trying for home) in FL

Anyone ??? Stop leak aim 't gonna do this. Just tried to pinch the tube and it is shot!

Sure hope someone can help us, please ??? LOL

Thnx, Mike

I've got a 67 V8 radiator here in upstate SC. Slant 6 has lower hose on opposite side.

Thnx Redfish,

Unfortunately SC is too far. I'm just 16 miles north of the FL line on I-75.

Mike

About 400 mi. 5 hours. How much farther were you bound ?

The Barracuda 22" V8 radiator out of a 65/66 will mount up but it is about 2" shorter. Maybe someone might have one of them laying around.

If all other options fail, you might go to a parts store and see if they have anything you can make work. I don't know that they will stock anything.

Thnx, coming right paso Palmetto on way home. Trying to plug the worst with JB Weld right now, then fill with Alumaseal. Pray for us.

Thnx, Mike

Thnx, coming right paso Palmetto on way home. Trying to plug the worst with JB Weld right now, then fill with Alumaseal. Pray for us.

Thnx, Mike

Assuming you have a brass radiator, here is the way my radiator man fixes them for a get by situation.

You will probably have to pull the radiator to do it.

He uses a brazing head on a torch but you can use a hand held propane torch, flux and some solder. Fold the tube back on it self, flux it and solder it closed. If the tube is too close to the tank he removes the piece and solders the hole shut.

JB weld and stop leak has stemmed the flow. Pray for us the next 310 miles.

Look......I know this is gonna sound stupid. But if it continues to leak, stop buy a store and get some eggs. Crack a couple into the radiator. They will circulate through the system and stop up the leak. I know. It's the stupidest thing in the world, but I have seen it work before.

There is a place here called 1-800 Radiator. They are not just local. Not sure if they are in your area, but they have stuff for our cars in stock usually, and they are cheap.

Also, another stupid idea. If you can run it without a radiator cap, it won't build pressure and leak as fast. I wouldn't recommend it for the long haul, but to get out of a pinch or the next town where you may get more help.

Look......I know this is gonna sound stupid. But if it continues to leak, stop buy a store and get some eggs. Crack a couple into the radiator. They will circulate through the system and stop up the leak. I know. It's the stupidest thing in the world, but I have seen it work before.

MacGyver did that to a Jeep :happy1:

Attachments

• egg.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 230
  • MacGyver-inventions-radiator-fix-thumb-330x233-39159.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 232

I've heard of that also.

I would recommend starting with a little bit at a time.

You've got nothing to loose, and if it doesn't work, you get eggs for breakfast.... LOL!

Quaker oats will slow it down.
Really it does work

how bout some bacon?

Hi everyone! Home safe about an hour ago.

Definitely cobbled and rigged, but it got us here. Pinched off the worst of the busted tubes as best as I could. Wasn't able to curl it up onto itself as it was too fragile. Slathered the busted tubes with JB Kwik Weld, mixed up a bunch and kept shoving it into the core with my fingers. I have a "lump" of JB about the size of a half dollar, mostly smooth to the front surface of the fins.

JB Kwik says 6 minutes to hard (4 hrs full cure) but I let it set for almost an hour. Filled with water and started, still had a couple of pinholes. Added Alumiseal stop leak and took care of it great. Didn't loose anotheer drop of water.

The JB Kwik and Alumiseal both just became permanent part of my road trip emergency kit!

Over this trip I've become convinced the starting 77k miles is accurate, and that this is the original radiator. I had already planned on having this one this one recored with a three row, just gonna happen sooner.

Now the final piece of the puzzle:
Called my bud in OR after we got home to let him know. He asked if we had thanked God as soon as we got here because...
"It wasn't because of mine or your mechanical abilities [we] made it, but by the grace of God! That car never should have made it coming straight out of 16+ yrs of storage."

Thnx to everyone for suggestions, prayers, etc. I'm ready for another adventure right now! Okay, well maybe in the morning, and after a coupla beers tonite! :D

BTW, I've used ground pepper in the past succesfully. I do know about using eggs, and if I was home, I'd have walked straight out to my coops and pulled a coupla fresh eggs out of the laying boxes. (Of course, I wouldn't have been stuck if I were already home.
BUT, I've never before heard of using oatmeal. Has anyone done this?

Mike (FINALLY home) in FL

Oatmeal? No. Believe it or not, I was stuck with a extremely similar issue of the radiator and a trucker from the Deep South told me to "Go getcha some Wriggles, not bubba bubba, or anything else. Then chew the Wriggles gum up reeeeeaaaaalll good and shove it in there, let'er get hard and go on home." He said.

Thank god for Southern boys! It worked and drove home over 70 miles during rush hour traffic. (3 hours)

Hi everyone! Home safe about an hour ago.

Definitely cobbled and rigged, but it got us here. Pinched off the worst of the busted tubes as best as I could. Wasn't able to curl it up onto itself as it was too fragile. Slathered the busted tubes with JB Kwik Weld, mixed up a bunch and kept shoving it into the core with my fingers. I have a "lump" of JB about the size of a half dollar, mostly smooth to the front surface of the fins.

JB Kwik says 6 minutes to hard (4 hrs full cure) but I let it set for almost an hour. Filled with water and started, still had a couple of pinholes. Added Alumiseal stop leak and took care of it great. Didn't loose anotheer drop of water.

The JB Kwik and Alumiseal both just became permanent part of my road trip emergency kit!

Over this trip I've become convinced the starting 77k miles is accurate, and that this is the original radiator. I had already planned on having this one this one recored with a three row, just gonna happen sooner.

Now the final piece of the puzzle:
Called my bud in OR after we got home to let him know. He asked if we had thanked God as soon as we got here because...
"It wasn't because of mine or your mechanical abilities [we] made it, but by the grace of God! That car never should have made it coming straight out of 16+ yrs of storage."

Thnx to everyone for suggestions, prayers, etc. I'm ready for another adventure right now! Okay, well maybe in the morning, and after a coupla beers tonite! :D

BTW, I've used ground pepper in the past succesfully. I do know about using eggs, and if I was home, I'd have walked straight out to my coops and pulled a coupla fresh eggs out of the laying boxes. (Of course, I wouldn't have been stuck if I were already home.
BUT, I've never before heard of using oatmeal. Has anyone done this?

Mike (FINALLY home) in FL

Glad you finally got home!

-
Back