Broken bell crank bolt

-

ratty dart 340

Reaction score
Hey there, recently I’ve been installing a set of hedman headers(mistake) into my 73 dart sport. Has a 360 and 727. When removing some linkage to fit the driver side header in, I broke the bell crank pivot bolt for the Kickdown linkage. The rest of the bolt still resides in the hole, whereas I have the head of the bolt. It’s in a very tight place but I was able to drill and get an extracting bit on it.

I’m not very hopeful that I will be able to extract it being that it took a lot of force to break.

If I cant extract out the bolt I may need to drop the tranny. I have a new bolt on the way. Any thoughts on what I should do?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Drop the trans crossmember and let the engine tilt back. This might get it low enough so you can get to it better. If its a small block you may want to pull the distributor. Either way, watch firewall clearance while lowering the tail.

Keep drilling that broken bolt with an 1/8" drill bit all the way through the bottom of the bolt.

Heat up the aluminum pedistal with the torch, but don't melt it. Then spray into the bolt with some PB Blaster penetrating oil to get to the bottom of the threads.

Take your time, may have to heat it a few times.

-
Back