Broken Bolt

-

mchlwany

Reaction score
Hello all im currently replacing the timing chain on my 72 dodge dart swinger with a 318 after a failure at 45MPH. i took everything down to the water pump with no problems then i broke a bolt..:banghead: the upper left hand bolt (as seen in attached image) from what i was told its a water jacket bolt into the block today when i finaly got the crank bolt and harmonic off and oil pan bolts off the timing chain cover and tore off the gaskets as best as posible the timing chain cover STILL wont come off a guy told my dad its a common bolt to break and it goes into the block so i have no clue why the cover wont come off i already broke the cover using a flat head to pry off the right side but the left side just refuses to come off im open to any way to get this darn cover off! all responses are thanked :)

Attachments

• IMG_20120116_111538.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 326
I am assuming you took the 2 bolts out going into the bottom of the timing cover through the oil pan? It sounds like you either missed a bolt or two or that one that broke off is corroded into the timing cover. If you are sure you got all the bolts out, you may need ot heat the timing cover a bit where that broken bolt goes through to get it loose (if that is where it is tight).

thank you for the quick replys well i can try heating the cover i figured it was rusted in i put some CLR inside the hole earlier to see if tomorrow it'll break loose but i can try a torch on it . Oh and inkjunkie yea i tried the bfh approach and yea it just laughs and says "is that all you got!"

Good call on the lower two bolts 69B-Cuda.

That cover is not coming off unless to pulleys and harmonic balancer come off first. As for the bolt, I recommend KROIL and the meanest, longest vice grips available to get some leverage on that bad boy.

i got all the bolts out i found the 2 oil pan ones today and removed them i took the picture a coupple days ago i tried a pipe wrench but ill try some vice grips tomorrow and get back to you. is there any local places eg. Home Depot i can get the KROIL i checked Autozone but they dont seem to have it

Defiant little sob, aint it??? Don't let it win.....

oh yes it is well the sad part is, I broke the housing trying to get it off so my Dad is not happy that now hes getting a Mopar Performance timing chain and cover but im happier than a pig in mud. But i shall try everything that has been listed so far and hopefully *fingers crossed* i can get it off to see my now non-teethed timing gears.

i got all the bolts out i found the 2 oil pan ones today and removed them i took the picture a coupple days ago i tried a pipe wrench but ill try some vice grips tomorrow and get back to you. is there any local places eg. Home Depot i can get the KROIL i checked Autozone but they dont seem to have it

I used to be able to get KROIL at an old school parts place. Here at the Edge off the World, I've had to go direct to the mfg.

http://www.kanolabs.com/

In looking for the website, I see you can also get it through Amazon. Good luck with the reluctant bolt.

I've got a timing gear cover that needs a little work. Will work with you on $. Send a PM with normal name and phone no.
Mike

If the cover is already broken, take a die grinder to the aluminum around the broken stud. You can also use a cold chisel and split the housing to get it off. I don't know if anyone has told you yet or not, but, it's likely you bent the valves on that motor. After you get the timing cover off and change the gears and chain, do a compression test. I would also pull the valve covers and spin the push rods to see if any are bent.

Hello all im currently replacing the timing chain on my 72 dodge dart swinger with a 318 after a failure at 45MPH. i took everything down to the water pump with no problems then i broke a bolt..:banghead: the upper left hand bolt (as seen in attached image) from what i was told its a water jacket bolt into the block today when i finaly got the crank bolt and harmonic off and oil pan bolts off the timing chain cover and tore off the gaskets as best as posible the timing chain cover STILL wont come off a guy told my dad its a common bolt to break and it goes into the block so i have no clue why the cover wont come off i already broke the cover using a flat head to pry off the right side but the left side just refuses to come off im open to any way to get this darn cover off! all responses are thanked :)
You might have some engine damage, if the chain failed at 45MPH the valves may have kissed some pistons. I'd look for some bent push rods too, time to open up the valve covers and check them out.

You can try PB blaster also. I like it better than kroil personally. If its one of the four bolts around the pump, take a saw and try to cut some notches in the round part around the bolt. Then spray some penetrating oil in the notches.

Also, I wouldnt get the idea of cutting the cover up with a torch unless you know how to use a cutting torch from alot of experience. You could ignite the vapors built up in the block and have a bad flash fire. Trust me if that happens it will suck:angryfir::angryfir::angryfir::angryfir:

No offense, but maybe somewhere along this job you ought to get some degreaser and clean up the front of that thing. Also, when you finally do get the cover off check to see if the snout of the crankshaft has a wear groove in it from the old front seal. Hopefully you will get a cover that allows the seal to come in from the front. I dont even think they make the old one anymore. Anyway if you do have a groove you can A: Not hammer the seal all the way in so the seal rides on a different part of the crank, or B:put a repair sleeve over the snout of the crank to cover the groove. They are cheap. Try option A first though because I have heard of the repair seals wearing out, making a sharp edge in the sleeve right where the seal rides, cutting the seal real bad and dumping the oil out the front.

One other thing, If you find the cam gear with plastic teeth on it, DO NOT put another timing chain with plastic teeth back in. The only good thing about that would be that you have a replacement 318 with a roller cam and some 302 heads, If I am not mistaken.

well thank you all for the replies it seems my Darts gonna need a set of valves :/ my dad and i took degreaser to it today really cleand up good :) and we got the bolt out my hand with a really big pipe wrench. the gears no longer have plastic teeth there gone its a pretty big mess in there. I guess i have to take these heads to a machinist i cant just slap new valves in which sucks due to the money issue im going to have with this ( ill tell you on a teenager budget a old car really kills on the money) im thinking of either going with junkyard heads or something im not sure what a proper rebuilding of the heads is going to be like as far as money id like to have a private party do it if anybody knows a good rebuilding please PM there info i thank you all for your help ill post a picture of the gears on Monday

I used to be able to get KROIL at an old school parts place. Here at the Edge off the World, I've had to go direct to the mfg.

http://www.kanolabs.com/

In looking for the website, I see you can also get it through Amazon. Good luck with the reluctant bolt.

You are absolutly 100% CORRECT!
I have used Kroil since 1967 and there is NONE BETTER!!!

Cudamike13
Mike

-
Back