Broken down college kid

-
It's Running !! apparently it must of been either a bad ECU or grounding problem at the ECU. With the new orange box we bolted it on with an extra grounding wire attached under the mounting bolt and the engine fired the instant I turned the key.

Just a quick question for those of you out there. After I replaced the ECU and put in a new coil the car starts up no problem now. BUT I noticed while increasing acceleration or RPMs the ammeter shifts to the right quite a bit on the + side of the gauge. Would this be due to the battery losing some charge throughout our whole attempt at getting the car started and cranking the engine, so the gauge needle showing an increase in + would indicate the battery charging from the new alternator after running on the bad alternator for a little bit before my issues started ?

I had the same thing happen with my 1944 Willys turned out to be a bad wire running off the ammeter. My dad is rewiring the whole jeep with a repop harness while Im at home.

As some of you might of followed my last thread http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=155522.
My alternator decided to die on me as well as my ECU. Finding out that my alternator was dying the ammeter gauge was reading in the negative side before my car decided to die on me. After having my alternator tested at two different places and failed each test I decided to get a new alternator. My ECU, after a long day of troubleshooting occurred, was the deciding factor as to why my car wouldn't start anymore. I have a slant six and was using the black ECU box for several years, we swapped it out with the orange mopar box that is typically recommend for the little bit higher RPM range engines.

My question is this. While the alternator, coil and ECU were replaced. My ammeter gauge reads at directly between the two lines at the top of the gauge when my car is just idling , yet when I push the accelerator the needle jumps to the positive side to the second to last tick mark on the gauge, yet when I come to a stop light it falls just below the top two tick marks into the negative side a little bit.

Before any of these things were changed out, for several years the ammeter was always reading right between the top two marks 100% of the time. What would be causing this sudden change now ? could it be switching to the orange ECU box ? or something else gone wrong. Thank you for any suggestions.

Here is what might be happening, and might just be related to the "no run" condition.

The path of "ignition run" that is, the traditional "dark blue" that feeds the ignition system, ALSO FEEDS the regulator, the alternator field, and a couple of other things if used.

THIS IS THE ONLY wire coming into the engine bay that is hot from the key "in run."

It is subject to "voltage drop" because of problems with the bulkhead connector, the connector on the ignition switch, possibly connections in the bulkhead for the alternator.

THIS IS WHY I'd like you to see exactly what you have.

Turn the key to run, engine off. Compare battery voltage right at the battery, to the voltage at the "dark blue" feeding the ignition. More than 1/2 volt difference is too much.

Another way to check this is to measure the voltage drop directly. Put one meter probe directly onto the battery positive post, and the other probe on the dark blue feeding the ignition. (key side of the ballast.) If the meter reads more than 1/2 volt, you have a "drop" problem in the circuit I described above.

NOW why does this affect the alternator?

Because this "dark blue" "run" wire ALSO FEEDS the ignition terminal of the regulator, and the regulator is "sensing" this voltage to determine what voltage to set the alternator at. If the regulator "would like to" charge at 14V, and you have .5 (1/2) volt drop through this dark blue circuit, the voltage regulator WILL ADD THAT DROP to the charging voltage, and you will see 14 + .5, or 14.5V (example) at the battery.

Since you have BOTH had run problems AND now have what seems like an overcharge problem, this is as I see it.

I know this is way at the bottom of the thread, but hopefully others will see this other issue that I am having.

My alternator decided to die on me as well as my ECU. Finding out that my alternator was dying the ammeter gauge was reading in the negative side before my car decided to die on me. After having my alternator tested at two different places and failed each test I decided to get a new alternator. My ECU, after a long day of troubleshooting occurred, was the deciding factor as to why my car wouldn't start anymore. I have a slant six and was using the black ECU box for several years, we swapped it out with the orange mopar box that is typically recommend for the little bit higher RPM range engines.

My question is this. While the alternator, coil and ECU were replaced. My ammeter gauge reads at directly between the two lines at the top of the gauge when my car is just idling , yet when I push the accelerator the needle jumps to the positive side to the second to last tick mark on the gauge, yet when I come to a stop light it falls just below the top two tick marks into the negative side a little bit.

Before any of these things were changed out, for several years the ammeter was always reading right between the top two marks 100% of the time. What would be causing this sudden change now ? could it be switching to the orange ECU box ? or something else gone wrong. Thank you for any suggestions.

67Dart273,
Aaron will be home sometime this week with his Dart. Since I have the test equipment with me, we'll take all the readings you suggested and post the results. I'm very interested in determining if there are other underlying issues we need to address. Thanks very much for all your input.

Jerry

is the battery fully charged ? Do you have some accessory running that takes lots of juice ? Needle going up to positive means it charging , I get that if my battery is need of a charge ,like after car died and hazards were on for 2 hours , but after 1/2 hour of cruising it settles down to middle of gauge .
Is the pulley on the alternator same size as old one ? If it is larger it might not charge enough at idle .

The belt on the alternator is the same size (one that is recommended by the auto stores) I have noticed while driving around the needle doesn't jump as bad and sort of settles more in between the top right mark and the middle right one. But I need to drive it more to see if it stays that way. Shouldn't be any accessory drawing unwanted amps other than the radio if I run it.

then it is prob just battery getting up to full charge , once there the needle will settle down and battery holds a charge

-
Back