Bronze dist. Gear

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
Getting the final little stuff ordered for assembly. Currently have a Mopar Perf. Bronze drive in my motor in car. I really wanted to keep that motor assembled and ready to run. Was shocked at the price of a new bronze drive.

I have several good steel ones and was wondering if anyone has used the pin on bronze gear offered by Crane, Crower, etc. 80 bucks sounds a lot better than 200.

Not using a HV pump.

Geez everything I have in this new bullet is top end stuff and feel like I'm "cheaping out" here but this little stuff is killing me!

Only know what I have read.....it says not to use with used camshaft...

We now offer fully machined, specially coated and processed melonized steel distributor gears for both small block & big block engines. These gears are designed to be used on steel roller tappet camshafts that previously required a bronze gear on the intermediate shaft. The problem with the bronze gear is that it wears very rapidly, especially on the street and therfore requires frequent replacement. These specially coated gears live with O.E.M. style lifespans. But wait, that's not all! They can also be used with stock or aftermarket cams as well! Hey, these babies work on everything. Only one caution, Do not install them on a used cam. - Call us first!

High volume, or high pressure oil pumps are not recommended as they accelerate wear on the cam gear and oil pump drive gear

Only know what I have read.....it says not to use with used camshaft...

We now offer fully machined, specially coated and processed melonized steel distributor gears for both small block & big block engines. These gears are designed to be used on steel roller tappet camshafts that previously required a bronze gear on the intermediate shaft. The problem with the bronze gear is that it wears very rapidly, especially on the street and therfore requires frequent replacement. These specially coated gears live with O.E.M. style lifespans. But wait, that's not all! They can also be used with stock or aftermarket cams as well! Hey, these babies work on everything. Only one caution, Do not install them on a used cam. - Call us first!

High volume, or high pressure oil pumps are not recommended as they accelerate wear on the cam gear and oil pump drive gear
Well I'm certainly not using any used cam.....I'm not understanding your reply. Are you quoting or saying your company sells a gear?

The bronze gear doesn't wear all that fast. I put 2600 miles and maybe 20 passes on this past summer. Last looked at it when put away and it still looks pretty good.

I have a Bullet solid roller on the way, for a new build. Looking at options that leave the one I have in the engine it's in..

How do you remove the pin that holds the gear on?

Crane 69970-1 is the coated steel gear. I haven't personally used one.

I bought the Crane coated steel gear from Hughes but haven't installed it yet. I am interested in hearing some real life feedback myself.

I'll be running a "57" 341 Desoto Hemi in the 67 Barracuda with a roller cam. I bought the coated steel gear to run, but it is not together yet. I want a street motor that will last 200K to 300K. From everyone I talked to the bronze gear is not up to that task.

I just bought the steel gear only from Hughes. I have yet to drive the clevis pin out of my old intermediate shaft and replace the bronze gear that's been on there for about 7K miles. It does have some wear, but was still working well.

I've found that the bronze gears last longer if you run the collar on you distributor shaft to keep the intermediate shaft from climbing up away from the bushing that's pressed into the block.

I was going to buy another bronze gear and have it cryogenically treated to see if that helped reduce wear even more, but ended up switching to a new cam and am running the special steel gear instead.

Changing the gear is a simple process of driving out the cleavis pin, removing and replacing the old gear and re-installing the pin.

If you are using a new cam, you can run the special steel gear offered by Hughes. If you are having good luck with wear on the bronze gear you can run a fresh one of those as well.

Getting the final little stuff ordered for assembly. Currently have a Mopar Perf. Bronze drive in my motor in car. I really wanted to keep that motor assembled and ready to run. Was shocked at the price of a new bronze drive.

I have several good steel ones and was wondering if anyone has used the pin on bronze gear offered by Crane, Crower, etc. 80 bucks sounds a lot better than 200.

Not using a HV pump.

Geez everything I have in this new bullet is top end stuff and feel like I'm "cheaping out" here but this little stuff is killing me!
Yes I've used just the gear, removed pin on intermediate shaft, pressed bronze gear on and reset pin, however..I don't use bronze gears anymore , I use the coated steel gear from crane with billet cams and the regular gear on the cast iron hyd roller cams I do here in there. I would skip the bronze and use the coated steel gear from crane if its a new billet cam...because no matter how long the bronze lasts...it still wears and ends up in the Oil.

Will have to check out the coated gear from Hughes. Seems to me, steel is steel. I don't care what ya coat it with. But then what the hell do I know.

Me for myself would go with the Steel one.
Had one in the German forum whrere the Bronce one was damaged after a few miles....
Its not rocketscience what our engines are...

-
Back